92 replies to this topic

#41 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:38 AM

Welcome, Richard. It is good to have you here, and I am certain I am not the only one who looks forward to your contributions.

He is risen, indeed!

INXC, Dcn Matthew

#42 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:53 PM

I have recently asked my Parish Priest-to-be to receive me into the Orthodox Church. From toe-dipping, to diving in head first, as it were.

Of course in Orthodoxy that would be diving in three times.:)

Fr David Moser

#43 Olga Hatz

Olga Hatz

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:02 AM

Hi, my name is Olga, and I'm from Sydney, Australia. I'm 27 and I was born and raised Greek Orthodox but I still feel I have much to learn, and that I will never stop learning. It seems to me I will ask more questions on this forum rather that try to answer them Please be patient with me and thank you for letting me join!

#44 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:14 PM

Welcome Olga dearest. :)

#45 Panayota K.

Panayota K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

Hello to the Monachos.net community!
I was searching the net for information about the monastery of Essex and your link was the first that appeared. After reading a few topics I decided to join you. I have to say it was a very pleasant surprise to find Orthodox brothers and sisters from around the world. I was deeply moved..
A few things about me; I am a Greek teacher, live in Thessaloniki and hope to visit many monasteries outside Greece (the one in Essex being the first one!!!). Although I was baptised only months after I was born, I only began to realise what this means when I was sixteen. And this beautiful journey to the essence of our faith continues...

May God bless us all
Panayota

#46 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:44 AM

Welcome dear Panayota. :)

#47 Peter M

Peter M

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:09 PM

Hi,
My name is Peter, Brother Pete to many, and I am from NJ.

I came from a fundamental baptist church and was a frequent evangelist, prison preacher, door-knocker and Sunday school teacher. I have also been an American Baptist, and I grew up as a non-practicing Roman Catholic. (I spent more time being a reprobate than anything else :mad: and initially got "saved" because of incredibly pressing problems in my life that gave me very little hope.)

I'm not sure why I ended up becoming Orthodox, I just did. I happened on a few vigils in the ROCOR church near me, and by the time I hit my first divine liturgy, I knew that I couldn't go back to a preach-and-sing type church. Those days were over. I was always interested in finding the true Church, and there were many unsatisfying variations to the faith, and that seemed in conflict with the Holy Scripture, Let there be no divisions among you.

I was chrismated on Lazarus Saturday in April; my one-year-old was also baptized and received that day as well:). My wife was recently chrismated and we are well on our way.

I've been somewhat of a lurker for a while, and I enjoy reading this site, to get me out of the daily doldrums of work, which is in a niche business segment associated with transportation and finance.

IC XC,

Brother Pete

#48 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:14 PM

Welcome Peter!--to Orthodoxy and also to this forum! *wink*

In Christ,
Alice

P.S. I don't get the 'Brother Pete' stuff ?!?!? (*confused*)

#49 Peter M

Peter M

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

Hi,

Forget the "Brother Pete." Just an old nickname from my Baptist days. I see it causes confusion so I'm dropping it! You can call me Pete. Thanks!;)

#50 Jonathan Hayward

Jonathan Hayward

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:14 AM

Hi,

Forget the "Brother Pete." Just an old nickname from my Baptist days. I see it causes confusion so I'm dropping it! You can call me Pete. Thanks!;)

I didn't mind it! I liked it.

But anyways, welcome to the forum. Or welcome to writing on the forum, or whatever welcome is appropriate!

Christos Jonathan

#51 David James

David James

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:49 PM

I also was received into Orthodoxy on Lazarus Saturday - in 1969! Forty years long have I grieved the Lord, and continued to err in my heart, for I have not learned His ways.

David James

Hi,
I was chrismated on Lazarus Saturday in April; my one-year-old was also baptized and received that day as well:). My wife was recently chrismated and we are well on our way.

I've been somewhat of a lurker for a while, and I enjoy reading this site, to get me out of the daily doldrums of work, which is in a niche business segment associated with transportation and finance.

IC XC,

Brother Pete

#52 Etsi JC Brigid W.

Etsi JC Brigid W.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:35 PM

Hello. I'm Etsi, wife of 15yrs and mother to many children. I'm from another Christian tradition, but have been attending a Greek Orthodox Church with my husband, who has been leaning that direction for some time (let's just say, I saw this coming ;) ). My children are loving it and I've been learning a lot. Someone from another Orthodox board recommended Monachos.net to me.

#53 Peter M

Peter M

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:05 AM

Welcome aboard! Pleased to have you here. I came from a different Christian tradition and helped lead my wife into the Church as well. May God bless you in this most holy pursuit!
:)

#54 Jonathan Hayward

Jonathan Hayward

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:01 PM

Hello. I'm Etsi, wife of 15yrs and mother to many children. I'm from another Christian tradition, but have been attending a Greek Orthodox Church with my husband, who has been leaning that direction for some time (let's just say, I saw this coming ;) ). My children are loving it and I've been learning a lot. Someone from another Orthodox board recommended Monachos.net to me.

Welcome on board!

Christos Jonathan

#55 Preston Neel

Preston Neel

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:14 AM

Hey everyone,

I'm currently an undergraduate pursuing degrees in Religious Studies and History. Until recently, I was a very motivated Traditional Catholic but am currently sorting through some serious difficulties with Catholic ecclesiology and the current state of the Roman Catholic Church. I've been studying Orthodoxy and find that its nothing like the "propaganda" I heard in the RCC. I attended my first Divine Liturgy this past Sunday at a local (Antiochian) Orthodox parish. [I found out later that the priest there is the son of the famous Fr. Peter Gillquist.]

The "weirdest" thing about attending the Divine Liturgy was hearing the service in English, as I've only attended the Traditional Latin Mass for the past couple of years. I've also found it strange in studying Orthodoxy that I can actually trust the hierarchy; a person trying to live as loyal to Catholic tradition and dogma must be selective about the authors he reads. I'm moving very, very slowly, but there's a good chance I might end up converting. This is very difficult to say, because I was the staunchest of hardline Catholics and felt a little guilty for attending the Divine Liturgy.

I will probably be around asking questions, so be patient with me!

#56 Ryan

Ryan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:03 PM

Hi Preston, and welcome. I look forward to discussing any questions you have. I should warn you, though, that the Orthodox Church is not without controversies and issues of its own- not on the scale of the Roman Catholic Church, of course, but they're there. From time to time, hierarchs may say questionable things or squabble with each other. We are human, of course. ;)

#57 Alexandros

Alexandros

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:47 PM

Hello, everyone!

My name is Alexandros, and I'm a half-Greek, half-German student living in Germany. I'm 17 years old. I was baptized in the Church of Greece, but I have been approaching Orthodoxy only very slowly during the past years. However, I feel like I'm slowly getting there. I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.

IC XC
NI KA

Alex

#58 Jonathan Hayward

Jonathan Hayward

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 03:05 AM

Hello, everyone!

My name is Alexandros, and I'm a half-Greek, half-German student living in Germany. I'm 17 years old. I was baptized in the Church of Greece, but I have been approaching Orthodoxy only very slowly during the past years. However, I feel like I'm slowly getting there. I'm looking forward to some interesting discussions.

IC XC
NI KA

Alex

Welcome home!

Christos Jonathan

#59 Fady Samir

Fady Samir

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:36 AM

HI!! My name is Fady Samir (Fady means Redeemer :) ) , Coptic Orthodox. I was born in Cairo , Egypt and still living in it (unfortunately!!,ihm)
IGCSE Diploma Student (17 years old)
I am very glad with such a superb ,literally magnificent, forum. What motivated me to join this forum , that I am a seeker of truth (without exaggerating). Currently, I have many reasons to be Coptic but few to be Greek. I think this forum may become in handy.
I am in dilemma really, to be a Greek Orthodox , I must collect as much information and evidences then compare them with the evidences of authenticity of Coptic Orthodox church. I try to view the controversial aspects from a neutral view. Kindly, I'll display the controversial points and require as many topics and threads regarding the current issues:
1) Proving the neutralism and truth of Chalcedonies commandments (in other words,proving that Pope Dioscoros is actually guilty)
2) Deep explanation of "Theosis" with reference to the Fathers' writings
3) Against the inerrancy of the Holy Bible (that's an exceedingly important topic)
4) Against the Original sin

:D I pray to the Holy LORD that I'd benefit from you and who knows maybe after 2 or 3 years be a Greek Orthodox.

In Christ,,

#60 Nina

Nina

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 03:37 PM

Welcome Fady. We have another friend here who converted from OO to Orthodoxy. His name is Mina Monir. It is so nice to see that this forum is a place where people from different countries feel at home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users