92 replies to this topic

#81 Jonathan Hayward

Jonathan Hayward

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:10 PM

I'm Dn. Patrick Mitchell. I'm a writer in Washington, D.C., and serve at St. Nicholas Cathedral. I was raised Church of Christ (Campbellite) and converted in 1990, as a result of a tour in Turkey while in the Army.

I'm happy to have found an Orthodox discussion site where the posters treat each other kindly. (I know of at least four where they don't.) My deeply felt thanks to all who make this site possible.

In Christ, DnP

If you're not familiar with it, you may (or may not) be interested in OrthodoXCircle.com. I haven't been active on it for a while, but I would characterize the differences as saying that OrthodoXCircle is a friendly socializing place, vaguely like Facebook, while Monachos is social as an aspect of being a forum emphasizing patristics.

Christos Jonathan

#82 Brian Patrick Mitchell

Brian Patrick Mitchell

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:07 PM

If you're not familiar with it, you may (or may not) be interested in OrthodoXCircle.com. I haven't been active on it for a while, but I would characterize the differences as saying that OrthodoXCircle is a friendly socializing place, vaguely like Facebook, while Monachos is social as an aspect of being a forum emphasizing patristics.

Christos Jonathan

Thanks. I wasn't aware of OrthodoXCircle and will check it out.

DnP

#83 David Robles

David Robles

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:38 PM

Hello everyone :)
I would like to thank Fr. Deacon Matthew, all the moderators and the members for receiving me in your community. I am an Orthodox layman. I was baptized in 1998 for Pascha. In the fall of 1996, I was invited to a conversation with an Orthodox Christian. My friend and I were trying to prove to the Orthodox, that Calvinism was the correct approach to scripture. But my Orthodox friend led me instead to the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church, the Orthodox Church.
I love the Church Fathers so I think this community is the right place for me. I thank you all again, for your hospitality.
In Christ
David

#84 Momchil Tanchev

Momchil Tanchev

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

Hello to everyone at monachos.net!

I've been born in Bulgaria and became a member of the Orthodox Church at the age of 7 or 8. Almost all my conscious life I've been a believer though I rarely visited churches. At the age of 23 after discontinuing my education at the Medical University of Sofia I joined a group of zealots. Though I soon stopped to look for their company, under their influence I began to confess and commune regularly. At the moment I work as a translator from English into Bulgarian.

Unworthy, but orthodox,
Momchil

#85 Sydney (Nicoletta) F.

Sydney (Nicoletta) F.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:27 AM

Greetings in Christ!

I am an Orthodox Christian student at the University of Limerick, and I am working on an MA in chant. I'm originally from the US (I was born and raised in Arizona and went to college in Minnesota). I currently attend a small Antiochian mission parish, and we are working on outreach. I would love to hear from any other Orthodox Christians in Ireland who happen to be on this forum.

A few "fun facts": I am a convert from the Lutheran church. I am a triplet. I am totally blind from birth (feel free to ask any questions that you may have regarding this).

Enough about me! :-) I look forward to getting to know the wonderful people in this community, to learning, and to contributing what little I can.

Glory to God!!

Nicoletta

#86 Savvas

Savvas

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:19 PM

Hello from me as well, I am an orthodox Christian from Greece, and living in Newcastle upon tyne (U.K) at the moment after finishing my degree in the university. I found this forum when I was searching for any information about the monastery in Essex that I would like to visit soon.

Greetings to all !

#87 Panayota K.

Panayota K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:33 AM

Welcome all to our family! Looking forward to your comments!

In Christ
Panayota

#88 Dimitrios Georgios K.

Dimitrios Georgios K.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:07 PM

Hello all! I am a Greek Orthodox, currently studying Molecular Biology and Genetics at the Demokritus University of Thrace. I feel very thankful for having found this forum.

Greetings to all!

#89 Georgios Nassar

Georgios Nassar

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:14 AM

Hello. My name is George, I orthodox from Russia. I for the first time at a foreign orthodox forum. I here to learn as there live my orthodox brothers from other countries. Sorry my bad English.
Whether there are here orthodox brothers from the Middle East (from Syria, Jordan, Egypt, Palestine)?
Русским соотечественникам и сербским братьям сердечное приветствие.
وإنني أرحب الاخوة الارثوذكس العرب.

#90 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:55 AM

A big welcome to all our new members. May you find what you seek and participate so we can find what we seek.

Paul

#91 Ama

Ama

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:19 AM

Hello,

My name is Amalia, I come from Romania but I live in Germany where I am finishing my studies. I am very happy to have found this website and be able to learn so much from it!
I have no friends in the area who are actually interested in orthodoxy, so I am glad to be able to get in contact with orthodox people from all around the world on this forum.

In Christ,
Amalia

#92 Speros

Speros

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

Please keep in mind, I am no way anti-Orthodox. There will always be a place for Orthodoxy in my heart, just as there is a place for the Roman Catholic Church in which I was raised. In my junior year of high school, I started attending the Orthodox church simply because the well loved priest at my Catholic parish retired, and the priest scandal at the time made me question the trustworthiness of the Roman Church in America.

I was seventeen years old at the time, and visited the Orthodox church because a friend from school had a deacon there as her father and she invited me. Also, my father's side of the family is Orthodox. I did not become serious about Orthodoxy, in terms of insisting that Orthodoxy alone is the one true faith, until my junior and senior year of college, when I was away from home for the first time and the uncertainty and anxiety of my circumstances caused me to insist on a rigid understanding of the faith. The priests I became involved with in college were questionable, and gave me a warped view of what it means to be a Christian.

At the reception of my friend's wedding, during my final quarter of college, I had the most profound spiritual experience of my life. It's possible that I was experiencing heat exhaustion or some other natural cause, but I was convinced of feeling the profound presence of the love, joy, and peace of Christ in the room. I actually had to leave and eat outside for a few minutes because I felt so overwhelmed by it. This was not a presence that was monarchical and condemning, but one of grace and freedom. It's as if Jesus himself was present at this wedding feast. The hours that passed by felt like minutes, as if I had entered eternity. I was Orthodox at the time and had no similar experience in an Orthodox setting. This spiritual experience was at a Protestant wedding service among Protestant friends who despite my foolish sectarianism, had come to accept me and care about my well being.

When I came home from college and reflected on my experiences and my mistakes, in how I offended fellow Christians, I came to realize that Christ is beyond our sectarianism. As I've said before, I haven't moved from the Orthodox team to the Protestant team. I feel that I've transcended teams to rely on Christ alone. (1 Tim 2:5) I do not claim that Protestantism is the only true way to understand the Christian faith. I'd only contend that it's one legitimate interpretation among several possible interpretations. All that matters is your love of Christ and whether you follow his commandments.

The central point of the Protestant Reformation, that salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone as found in Scripture alone, is firmly supported by the early church fathers. Luther and Calvin were among the most well read patristic scholars of their time and often appealed to the fathers in their writings. Based on careful research, the Reformers sincerely believed that they were restoring ancient Christian faith. They did not rely on themselves for Scriptural interpretation, but defended what they found to be the early patristic witness.

This is a collection of quotes from the church fathers that the Reformers appealed to in defense of their Reformation:

The "Lutheran" Solas in the Church Fathers

#93 M.C. Steenberg

M.C. Steenberg

Former Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,843 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 04:01 PM

Welcome to our newer members. May this place be helpful to you in your desire to learn more of Orthodoxy in her patristic and monastic heritage.

INXC, Dcn Matthew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users