Stuart Dunn

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:48 AM

Text and MP3s of Brenton's Septuagint can be found at the following website:
http://www.ecmarsh.com/lxx/

Be warned...the audio is read by a computer program and tough to listen to.

Edited by Stuart Dunn, 03 January 2009 - 02:12 AM.
Added some opinion

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

Not being a scholar, what are the criticisms of Brenton's Septuagint? One useful feature is that it has the Greek text alongside the translation.

#3 Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 04:22 AM

FWIK, there are a few mistranslations of words here and there, and the actual text of his Septuagint isn't well liked by scholars. Of course, neither is the Rahlfs.

#4 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 12:06 AM

Let me ask the reverse question :-) - is there anything that scholards DO like?

#5 Stuart Dunn

Stuart Dunn

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:30 AM

Scholars like to be correct. However, I feel we as people are becoming too "smart" for our own good. I don't know if anyone had this problem in school, but sometimes you over-think something missing the obvious answer. At the risk of going off on a different subject completely from this thread, I think people have become too "smart" for God in their eyes. They have reduced Him to a myth or security blanket they no longer need. That's at least how I see it in the Western culture...not sure how about the Eastern culture.

#6 Vasiliki D.

Vasiliki D.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:39 AM

I absolutely agree with your comment Stuart. In the East, I can only speak for the Greek culture, being Greek, it often feels that God has been "reduced" into a medium source ... yes, you heard (read me) me correctly!

I know God allows us to ask for things in our lives ... hence why we have the paraklisi and other means ... however, sometimes it feels that worship of God has been reduced and asking things from God has increased ... the balance does not seem right anymore.

You will see many Greek people say, I believe in God ... I dont need to go to Church. I just ask him to look after me [<-- notice] and my family and that is enough ... but God does not call us to be Orthodox so we can ask things from Him ... he wants a relationship with us ...

Edited by Vasiliki D., 05 January 2009 - 05:45 AM.
Might get into trouble with feminists :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users