124 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

I have heard some preach strange doctrines in the Orthodox Church about the Bible. The Bible according to the Church fathers is perfect and without error. As fr John Whiteford defends so powerfully here.

http://fatherjohn.bl...ipture.html?m=1

#2 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

I know of no fathers saying that the scriptures were perfect,  the canon as we know it was not finalized until the first. councle of Nacia.  Only after this did the bilbe as we know it come int being.  The idea that the bile is without error is a recent (last 300 years or so) doctrine of the reformed Protestant church and dose not stand up to any scholarly criticism, the fact we translate the texts being the first point, no translation is perfect.  unfortunately the eronios view of the scriptures had come in with some who converted and are now trying to justify their personal view rather than read what holy tradition and the Fathers are atuly saying.

Part of the issue with saying that the Bible is perfect is that we elevate it to a near divine level and it becomes an idol.  we worship God in Trinity and the scriptures show us this along with holy tradition and the services, the Word of God is not the text but Christ himself God incarnate.

Phoebe

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

This is very much a western question, prompted by the influence of Protestantism. Orthodox faith and doctrine are Apostolic and existed, as Phoebe indicates, before the canon of scripture was settled and indeed before the Gospels were written. Questions as to the Bible's (one assumes the Septuagint and NT are meant) being 'perfect' or 'inerrant' are futile since they depend on what is meant by 'perfect' and 'inerrant'.

#4 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

You are wrong. Did you even read the link I posted.Which quotes the fathers on the perfection of Scripture.Unless you are calling St John Chrystotom protestant.

#5 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

You are wrong. Did you even read the link I posted.Which quotes the fathers on the perfection of Scripture.Unless you are calling St John Chrystotom protestant. How can any Christian dare call a book written by GOD who is Truth not perfect ?

#6 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

You have not understood what I wrote. And no sensible person would say that God wrote the Bible.

#7 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

As St. John of Kronstadt put it:

"When you doubt the truth of any person or event described in Holy Scripture, then remember that “all Scripture is given by inspiration of God,” as the Apostle says and is therefore true, and does not contain any imaginary persons, fables, and tales, although it includes parables, which everyone can see are not true narratives, but are written in figurative language. The whole of the word of God is single, entire, indivisible truth; and if you admit that any narrative, sentence, or word is untrue, then you sin against the truth of the whole of Holy Scripture and its primordial truth, which is God Himself. “I am the truth,” said the Lord; “Thy word is truth,” said Jesus Christ to God the Father. Thus, consider the whole of the Holy Scripture as truth; everything that is said in it has either taken place or takes place (St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ, trans. E. E. Goulaeff (Jordanville, NY: Holy Trinity Monastery, 1994) p

#8 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

St. John Chrysostom wrote: "Don't worry, dearly beloved, don't think sacred Scripture ever contradicts itself, learn instead the truth of what it says, hold fast what it teaches in truth, and close your ears to those who speak against it" (Homily 4:8 on Genesis, The Fathers of the Church: St. John Chrysostom

#9 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

St. Augustine said:

"For I confess to your Charity that I have learned to yield this respect and honour only to the canonical books of Scripture: of these alone do I most firmly believe that the authors were completely free from error. And if in these writings I am perplexed by anything which appears to me opposed to truth, I do not hesitate to suppose that either the manuscript is faulty, or the translator has not caught the meaning of what was said, or I myself have failed to understand it" (Letter to St. Jerome, 1:3).

#10 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

from the catechism by st Philaret of Moscow approved by the holy synod. http://www.pravoslav...of_philaret.htm

Which states in question 19 19. What is that which you call holy Scripture? Certain books written by the Spirit of God through men sanctified by God, called Prophets and Apostles. These books are commonly termed the Bible.

#11 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

2 Timothy 3:16-17 New King James Version (NKJV)

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

#12 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

2 Timothy 3:16-17 New King James Version (NKJV)

16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

#13 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

Hi Aaron. A blessed Lent to you! Of the quotes listed above, only the one by St. John of Krondstat appears to me to support your position.

But I ask you, which version of the Scriptures are you referring to being inerrant? Which translation and written when and by whom? Or is your position that the Scripturs are inerrant irrespective of which translation and which publisher wrote it?

Edited by Antonios, 12 March 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#14 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

Antonios asks the question I was going to ask. Certainly, the GOARCH website states that only the original language version of the Holy Scriptures is inspired by God, and not the translations most of us must use:

God's inspiration is confined to the original languages and utterances, not the many translations. There are 1,300 languages and dialects into which the Holy Bible, in its entirety or in portions, has been translated. This does not mean that the translations do not convey the meaning of the Bible for spiritual uprightness of the readers in their own language. On the contrary, the Bible should be spread and preached to "all nations." The missionaries in foreign lands learn the language or the dialect of the new area into which they bring the Bible and other religious teachings. 

As to the word 'perfect', the OED has eighteen definitions, before one arrives at the list of technical definitions.

Edited by Andreas Moran, 12 March 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#15 Aaron R.

Aaron R.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

Here is a very interesting comment by St. Peter of Damascus from the Philokalia, Volume 3, p. 144f:

THAT THERE ARE NO CONTRADICTIONS IN HOLY SCRIPTURE

Whenever a person even slightly illumined reads the Scriptures or sings psalms he finds in them matter for contemplation and theology, one text supporting another. But he whose intellect is still unenlightened thinks that the Holy Scriptures are contradictory. Yet there is no contradiction in the Holy Scriptures: God forbid that there should be. For some texts are confirmed by others, while some were written with reference to a particular time of a particular person. Thus every word of Scripture is beyond reproach. The appearance of contradiction is due to our ignorance. We ought not to find fault with the Scriptures, but to the limit of our capacity we should attend to them as they are, and not as we would like them to be, after the manner of the Greeks and Jews. for the Greeks and Jews refused to admit that they did not understand, but out of conceit and self-satisfaction they found fault with the Scriptures and with the natural order of things, and interpreted them as they saw fit and not according to the will of God. As a result they were led into delusion and gave themselves over to every kind of evil.

The person who searches for the meaning of the Scriptures will not put forward his own opinion, bad or good; but, as St. Basil the Great and St. John Chrysostom have said, he will take as his teacher, not the learning of this world, but Holy Scripture itself. Then if his heart is pure and God puts something unpremeditated into it, he will accept it, providing he can find confirmation for it in the Scriptures, as St. Antony the Great says. For St. Isaac says that the thoughts that enter spontaneously and without premeditation into the intellects of those pursuing a life of stillness are to be accepted; but that to investigate and then to draw one's own conclusions is an act of self-will and results in material knowledge.

This is especially the case if a person does not approach the Scriptures through the door of humility but, as St. John Chrysostom says, climbs up some other way, like a thief (cf. John 10:1), and forces them to accord with his allegorizing. For no one is more foolish than he who forces the meaning of the Scriptures or finds fault with them so as to demonstrate his own knowledge -- or, rather, his own ignorance. What kind of knowledge can result from adapting the meaning of the Scriptures to suit one's own likes and from daring to alter their words? The true sage is he who regards the text as authoritative and discovers, through the wisdom of the Spirit, the hidden mysteries to which the divine Scriptures bear witness.

The three great luminaries, St. Basil the Great, St. Gregory the Theologian and St. John Chrysostom, are outstanding examples of this: they base themselves either on the particular text they are considering or on some other passage of Scripture. Thus no one can contradict them, for they do not adduce external support for what they say, so that it might be claimed that it was merely their own opinion, but refer directly to the text under discussion or to some other scriptural passage that sheds light on it. And in this they are right; for what they understand and expound comes from the Holy Spirit, of whose inspiration they have been found worthy. No one, therefore, should do or mentally assent to anything if its integrity is in doubt and cannot be attested from Scripture. For what is the point of rejecting something who integrity Scripture clearly attests as being in accordance with God's will, in order to do something else, whether good or not? Only passion could provoke such behaviour.

Share 2
by
Fr. John Whiteford