Isaac_L

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:28 PM

Greetings, 

Christ is in our midst!

I apologize as I'm new here, and I hope this is posted in the appropriate place.

I have thought about purchasing this set (link) of the Church Fathers for some time now, mainly because of it's range and cost. Considering everything you get, $250 seems a steal. I am aware of a number of other publishers of series of church fathers, as well as sites like monachos.net. However, what has held me back is hearing from time to time that this series suffers from a horrible editing team, the translations show a Protestant bent, etc. 

I would like to know from those in this community if this is really the case. Are these exaggerations? Are the translations really that bad? Trying to assemble a similar library from other publishers rapidly surpasses the $250 price of this set.

Suggestions? 

Oh, and yes, I'm aware that these translations are available online and in other ebook formats, but I must confess I am rather fond of physical books.

Grace and peace,

Isaac

#2 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

The translations are not that bad, they are of course done from a western mindset and can reflect their bias, but the translation is still largely fine. The footnotes are another issue altogether reflecting a strong bias and for lack of a better word thick attitude at times, but of course one can simply not bother reading the footnotes. What I would suggest is reading a few of the works included in the collection online first, I know online reading is not the same as a book but this shall give you a good idea of whether or not to proceed with a purchases.

In Christ.

Daniel,

#3 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

I purchased this set about 3 months ago.  I think it cost me a little over $320, so it seems the price has gone down.  I too am fond and prefer physical books!  I honestly have only opened a couple of the volumes for reference material (notably with regards to my recent post asking who wrote the second set of tablets).  For the price, I think, it is a great deal and a great heirloom to pass on one day.

Edited by Antonios, 27 March 2014 - 04:41 PM.

#4 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:25 AM

I don't know what your set is like Antonios, or who the publisher is but the set in the link above is by Hendrickson who is know for very thin paper and very small print and light print.

The old Eerdman's Publishing set is hard to beat.

#5 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 05:37 AM

I don't know what your set is like Antonios, or who the publisher is but the set in the link above is by Hendrickson who is know for very thin paper and very small print and light print.

The old Eerdman's Publishing set is hard to beat.

You are very correct Rick. The paper is thin and the text is small. Not the best quality. I figure that is why the price is so low! :P

For someone on a budget, it is I think a decent deal. But there are definitely better quality sets out there, like Rick said.

#6 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

I also got this a few years back for around that price.

Things to note as some have mentioned is that:

I havent crossed checked the publishers on my copy but the one i have specially mention it is from the Anglican Community so need to note when they translate things it is from their perspective.

Those who have studied Theology noted that the series is not complete. I cant remember which books i was told that were missing.

The translations are not bad, there are some demonstrations from St. Aphrahat in the latter books and I compared it to the Syriac translations from Gorgias Press and you get the meaning.

For me I got it for the good price and I will have some understanding of the teachings of the Fathers and I know enough myself if they interpret things different to how an Orthodox translator/ author will present things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users