Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Hi

I recently discovered that Serbian orthodox don't get baptized until their 18.  This does not seem right as how do they partake Holy Communion?

Would anyone know if this is true and why?

Thanks

#2 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:56 AM

Never heard of that. I do know they dont use immersion. Thats not right neither.

#3 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Never heard of that. I do know they dont use immersion. Thats not right neither.

The Serbs do immerse in my neck of the woods, but in my several decades in the Church, I've never heard of any Orthodox jurisdiction or local church delay baptism until the age of 18.

#4 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 01:12 AM

Thank you both for your replies.

It might have something to do with older ways, don't know.

#5 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

I can tell you that the Serbian Church in London, England does use a baptism font for babies. I have never witnessed an adult baptism there so not sure how they baptise.

#6 Jean-Serge

Jean-Serge

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

Hi

I recently discovered that Serbian orthodox don't get baptized until their 18.  This does not seem right as how do they partake Holy Communion?

Would anyone know if this is true and why?

Thanks

This assertion is absolutely wrong. Simply read the lives of old and new Sebian saint, you will read that such was baptized as a child in such place. I have been in the Serbian church and this 18 y.o thing is definitely false... Maybe it is the case of a a teenager wanting to convert to orthodoxy... Indeed, in some countries,they might decide to wait for 18 y.o sometimes for legal reasons.

#7 Reader Nektarios

Reader Nektarios

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 09:15 AM

I got to a Serbian Church as well and that is wrong. The only reason a person in the Church would not get baptism by immersion is that they do not have the facilities for it like and an adult baptismal bath. My Church was founded by Serbs from Serbia so they never had converts to the Church and when it was built in the 50's they didn't build the adult one.

#8 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

There is no need to build a permanent adult-sized baptismal font in an existing church building. A portable tank of suitable size is neither expensive, nor difficult to use. There are at least 25 Orthodox churches in the city where I live, all but two or three established by emigrants, and they all have suitable facilities for baptising adults.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users