#1 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:47 AM

Not sure how to correctly word this, but I was told that the way the soul died eg If a lion ate it or a fish etc that's how the soul will came out of at the Second Coming, is this correct in our orthodox faith?

It will come out of the were it died.

Any quotes from our fathers about this?

Edited by Angie, 01 April 2014 - 03:55 AM.

#2 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:34 AM

As far as I know, mostly from the iconography of the church, that those who were mayterd are shown whole but with the signs of their martyrdom.

A the bases of this I think comes form the resection of our Lord, who still had the wounds of the crusifiction but transfigured.

Phoebe

#3 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:09 AM

Thank you Phoebe, that's a good point.

They say that people will be coming out of fires, sea, lakes from the mouths of animals, in whichever way they died.

I don't remember any orthodox fathers saying this or in the bible.  Unless I am wrong.

#4 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:15 AM

This matter is treated by St Athenagoras (+ c190) in his 'On the Resurrection of the Dead' which can be found here  http://www.newadvent...athers/0206.htm

With God, nothing is impossible. We see the creatures and the seas giving up the dead in icons of the Last Judgment.

#5 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:35 PM

The soul cannot be eaten or destroyed or mutilated. Death is the seperation of the soul from the body where the soul will begin its ascent through the heavens. As Christ taught, 'fear not he who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul.'  Our bodies will be reconstituted in a transfigured state.  The vision of Ezekial 37 where he saw a great open pit of bones, God responds by saying, "And I will lay sinews upon you and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live and shall know I am the Lord your God." 

The prophecies speak of coming forth from the graves which is basically the earth, in other places such as 1Thess and in Jude (which mentions the prophecy of Enoch), those saints who are asleep will already be ressurected and will arrive with Christ in the second coming. Or perhaps their bodies will regenerate over their souls in the air(1 Thess 4.14-17) .

The parables also mention wheat and grain, that our current bodies is just a seedling. St Paul said, "But someone will say, How are the dead raised? And with what body do they come? Foolish one what you sow is not made alive unless it dies. And what you sow you do not sow that body that shall be, but mere grain, perhaps wheat or some other grain. But God gives it a body as He pleases, and to each seed its own body."(1cor 15.35)

So no, we will not come out of animals, nor will the insects go into reverse mode uneating us or anything like that. 

#6 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:07 PM

What I mean is that the way you died, that's the way that you will come from then the soul will go to heaven

I couldn't find any writings on this, so not sure

Edited by Angie, 01 April 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#7 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:39 PM

What I mean is that the way you died, that's the way that you will come from then the soul will go to heaven

Though this is unclear, I think it may be confusing two things: the departure of the soul on death, and the general resurrection at the Second Coming. As to the first, I cannot cite authority, though there may be some, but all depends, surely, on the condition of the soul at the point of death, not the way in which the body dies. The condition of the body of someone who dies of, say, cancer is wretched but the soul of that person may ascend unhindered to paradise if it is well prepared.

#8 Ilaria

Ilaria

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:21 AM

Angie, as Andreas said, you have to separate two different stages: the soul after death and the resurrection at the Second Coming.

We cand only presume how will be the body at the Second Coming.. I think that the evident marks will be present, in a way or another (we should take in consideration that Christ has the marks of the crucifixion in His resurrected body).

#9 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 11:05 AM

Christ willed to retain the marks of the crucifixion on His glorified and resurrected body to convince the disciples (especially Thomas) that He was not a phantom; the marks are retained even now to remind all of us of His love for us in what He had suffered, the 'remembrance of His saving passion'. It does not follow that the risen bodies of human beings will bear the marks of injuries their earthly bodies bore.

#10 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

Thank you for clearing this up :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users