Photo
- - - - -

Help with Cross Icon, Slavonic translation?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Isaac_L

Isaac_L

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Greetings everyone,

Christ is in our midst!

I hope you all can help with the pictures located here: https://www.dropbox....6oxr/q2DCGgccyf

I just received this cross yesterday, and there's a lot going on in the icon. And there's a lot of Slavonic(?) text on the back of the cross that I cannot read. Could anyone possibly translate it? Let me know if better pictures are needed. Some of these didn't look as bad on my phone, but appear a little blurry when I uploaded them.

Some things I know:

- The figure on Christ's right is His mother

- The Icon at the head of the Cross is the "Made with hands" icon.

- The bones at the foot of the Cross belong to Adam

Things I don't know:

- Pretty much everything else...Who's the figure on Christ's left? Are the angels simply ministering to Him? Any significance to the building behind Christ's feet? Finally, I don't know any of the text except the initials for "Jesus Christ" and "Mother of God."

I thank you very very much in advance for any help you can give.

Grace and peace,

Isaac

#2 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:50 PM

Isaac,

I am not very good at understanding icons, but the figure on the left is John the beloved disciple I recognize the image from icons I have of the crusifiction.  

I think the wall in the background is the wall of Jerusalem it appears in a lot of the icons of the crusifiction.

I am shore those who know more can correct me if I am wrong and fill in the other things.

Phoebe

#3 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:51 PM

The figure on Christ's left is St John the Evangelist, the only one of the twelve disciples who was present at the Crucifixion, and to whom the dying Christ bestowed His Mother. St John is also always present with the Mother of God in conventional icons of the Crucifixion.

The script within the horizontal arm of the cross. under Christ's arms, is one of the troparia to the Cross: We bow down before Your Cross, O Master, and we glorify Your holy Resurrection. The Slavonic version is Кресту Твоему поклоняемся, Владыко, и святое воскресение Твое славим.

The angels are a common feature of Crucifixion icons, expressing their grief and incomprehension at the death of their God and Master, yet glorifying His Passion. These verses from the Lamentations of Great Friday expresses it well:

In the tomb they laid You, O Christ, who is Life; in amazement, angelic armies lift up their song as they glorify Your self-abasement, O Lord.

Angels are bewildered, and the bodiless hosts at a loss, O Christ, before that great mystery: Your ineffable entombment, beyond speech.

To the angels, O Saviour, You are gladness and joy, but a cause of grief You now have become to them, as they see You in the flesh, a lifeless corpse.

The text on the face of the cross between the angels reads Angel(s) of the Lord; that just above the short horizontal bar of the cross reads The King of Glory; and that on either side of the inscription IC-XC reads The Son of God.

The building behind Christ's feet represents the wall encompassing the city of Jerusalem. This, too, is often seen in Crucifixion icons. It illustrates not only the fact that Christ was crucified outside the city, but, if memory serves, points to OT prophecies of the same.

On the back of the cross, starting from the top:

Let us love one another

The troparion to the Cross, as above

On the long horizontal arm, a prayer to the Cross, incorporating Paschal verses:

Let God arise, and let His enemies be scattered; and let those who hate Him flee from His face. As smoke vanishes, let them vanish; and as wax
melts from the presence of fire, so let the demons perish from the presence of those who love God and who sign themselves with the Sign of the Cross and say with gladness: Hail, most precious and life-giving Cross of the Lord, for you drive away the demons by the power of our Lord Jesus Christ who was crucified on you, went down to hell and trampled on the power of the devil, and gave you to us, His honourable Cross, for driving away all enemies. O most precious and life-giving Cross of the Lord, help me with our holy Lady, the Virgin Mother of God, and with all the Saints throughout the ages. Amen.

On the vertical arm above the slanted bar, the Exaposteilarion from the service of the Elevation of the Cross (September 14):

The Cross is the guardian of the whole world; the Cross is the beauty of the Church; the Cross is the might of kings; the Cross is the confirmation of the faithful; the Cross is the glory of angels and the plague of demons.

#4 Isaac_L

Isaac_L

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:45 PM

Wow, that was fast! Thank you so much!

Would anyone like to weigh in on the symbols that appear at the foot of the cross (on the back)? I can certainly guess at some of them, but not others such as the ladder, or the item just below and to the right of the chicken/rooster. And what about some of the words/letters that appear among these symbols and cross?

Thanks again!

#5 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:04 AM

Beautiful icon!

Thank you for the explanation Olga!

#6 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:29 AM

Wow, that was fast! Thank you so much!

Would anyone like to weigh in on the symbols that appear at the foot of the cross (on the back)? I can certainly guess at some of them, but not others such as the ladder, or the item just below and to the right of the chicken/rooster. And what about some of the words/letters that appear among these symbols and cross?

Thanks again!

The symbols are all related to the Crucifixion itself, and the events before and after: the nails, the spear, the rod on which a sponge soaked in vinegar was tied, the bag containing the thirty pieces of silver, the whip (the rod with several curly lines emerging from it), the crown of thorns, the hand (for the hands of the Roman soldiers who mocked and slapped Christ), the hammer to drive the nails, the rooster which crowed after Peter's denials, the pliers to remove the nails, and the ladder which would have been needed to reach Christ's body to remove it from the cross.

#7 Isaac_L

Isaac_L

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:43 PM

Olga, you deftly answered every question I had about this cross. Thank you so very much.

#8 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:41 PM

Olga, you deftly answered every question I had about this cross. Thank you so very much.

Happy to help, my dear Isaac. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users