#1 Leah

Leah

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:06 PM

This might seem a simple question, but i keep saying it in my prayers and don't really understand why we call Jesus the Bridegroom? Who is he married to? is he not God therefore our father ,our creator,....our God? Or does the term Bridegroom refer to someone else ,and I am completely mis understanding the phrase.......Thankyou  in advance for any explanation.

In  Christ Leah.

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

He that hath the bride is the bridegroom: but the friend of the bridegroom, which standeth and heareth him, rejoiceth greatly because of the bridegroom's voice: this my joy therefore is fulfilled.  John3:29

And Jesus said unto them, Can the friends of the bridegroom fast, as long as the bridegroom is with them? but the days will come, when the bridegroom shall be taken from them, and then shall they fast. Mark 2:19

"Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.” Matthew 25:1

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendour, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish. In the same way husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church, because we are members of his body.  “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”  This mystery is profound, and I am saying that it refers to Christ and the church. Eph. 5:24-32

Edited by Andreas Moran, 18 April 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#3 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 06:52 AM

Could this please be simplified? 

What I mean is. I too would like to know what Leah has asked, but in simple terms which we can understand.

The above bible quotes are good, but please explain what it means.

Thanks

Edited by Angie, 20 April 2014 - 06:55 AM.

#4 Owen Jones

Owen Jones

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 07:18 AM

It's a metaphor for the marriage of Christ and His Church (all of us).  There are, of course, many metaphors and similes in the New Testament, all of which are designed to connect us with Him in a homey way with which we can personally relate.

Christos Anesti!

#5 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:04 AM

The term bridegroom is an eschaton title. The Church being the bride of Christ is always personified in the feminine (Rev 12.13-17). The Church, which is her members must remain vigilant, to be ready to receive the groom when he returns for her. This is what the parable of the 10 virgins is about. The wise virgins will be the ones to enter the bridal chamber, that is they receive the crown of victory, which is prefigured in the crowning of holy  matrimony.

The bridegroom is a futuristic concept because in holy week we enter into that future.  Its echoed throughout the service  of the bridegroom on Holy Monday:

"Behold the bridegroom comes in the midst of the night, and blessed is the servant whom he shall find vigilant; and unworthy is the one , whom he shall find heedless. Beware therefore, O my soul, not to be borne down with sleep, lest you be given up to death, and be shut out of the kingdom...

"Brethren, Let us love the bridegroom and prepare our lamps with care, shining in virtues and true faith. That like the prudent virgins of the Lord, we maybe ready to enter with Him into the wedding feast; for the bridegroom, as God, bestows a gift to all, the incorruptible crown."

Having realized, O my soul, the hour of the end. and remembering the cutting down of the fig tree, work therefore most diligently, O wretched soul, with the talent, which has been given to you, in vigilance and crying aloud, "May we not remain outside the bridal chamber of Christ".

#6 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:43 AM

The LORD provides and cares for the Church, the same way a husband should for a bride.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users