#1 David Lindblom

David Lindblom

Regular Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 06:26 AM

St. Vladimirs Press offers their Popular Patristics series. Any suggestions on where to start for a good foundation?

#2 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:51 AM

Where to start intirly depends on what you are interested in, there is such a welth of Patristic texts it is not possible for one person to read them all.  

A good introduction to theology and worship as an integrated whole is St Cyril of Jesusam's Catichital lectures, these were originally instructions for 3rd century Nipholites but are very helpful wherever you are post baptism.

Another place to start would be with the writings from the three hiarachs, though you might want to start with their sermons rather than the heavy theology texts if you are not used to reading theology.

Phoebe

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

In some monasteries, new novices are given Abba Dorotheos to read - he is very engaging. His Discourses and Sayings should be required reading for those new to the spiritual life. See the edition in the Cistercian Studies series by Eric Wheeler.

#4 Monk Herman

Monk Herman

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

I'd like to see a new translation of Saint Dorotheos. I get irritated when I see "great elder" rendered as "grand old man" -- like some New York Irish demagogue.

I think an excellent place to start would be with Saints Barsanuphios and John, Letters from the Desert.

If you're married, Saint John Chrysostom On Marriage and Family Life would be worth looking into.

Anything by Saint Gregory the Theologian ("of Nazianzus"). Try the Festal Orations.

H

#5 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:41 PM

The spiritual biography of St Seraphim of Sarov by Archimandrite Lazarus Moore should be on anyone's short list. Also, the later chapters of Path of Salvation by St Theophan the Recluse who speaks directly to people of our times.

#6 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:40 AM

Another essential, but all too often overlooked, patristic work is In Defence of the Holy Images, the seminal treatise on iconography by St John of Damascus. It's a slim booklet, and also available online:

http://www.fordham.e...scus-images.asp

#7 David Lindblom

David Lindblom

Regular Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:24 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  Sorry for my lack of response, I had some kind of password problems but are resolved now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users