3 replies to this topic

#1 Monk Herman

Monk Herman

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

+ I'm curious about how we recognize new saints.

I understand that when a new saint is glorified we begin by serving the pannichys for them one last time, and follow this with the service composed for that saint. Is that right? Does this mean that we shouldn't ask uncanonized persons for prayers?

I don't think we expect evidence of miracles before glorification, as the Romans do. Am I right about this?

The person I have in mind is Sonia Daly-Belcher. Her whole life sounds like a miracle. Her death at such a young age was obviously a terrible loss to those who knew her, but also to her school, and to the Church.

H

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:49 PM

Very often, new saints emerge from popular devotion amongst the faithful which is then made canonical by the Church. Such is the case with St Porphyrios and will be - soon - with Elders Paisios, Sophrony and others. I'm not sure that proof of miracles is a requirement. There are many others who are saints though known as such to God and not canonised: we can ask the prayers of any such.

#3 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 15 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

Andreas is right. 

In addition, there are often miracles which become known throughout the community of faithful, (as is happening right now with Elder Paisios.)

In Greece, an exhuming of the body of the person who the faithful become devoted to and whom miracles are attributed to, is done. If the body is incorrupt, this is usually thought of as the final sign from God that the person was indeed very holy and a saint...or Agios. (In Greece, bodies are not embalmed, and they are generally unearthed after a period of years anyway, so that the bones can be placed in an ossuary.)

In Christ,

Alice

#4 Monk Herman

Monk Herman

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:45 PM

Thanks for your help.

I had used the words "a great loss to the Church." But of course a sanctified life, even if cut short in God's own wisdom, for reasons that He alone can see, is a great benefit to the Church. May such lives be an inspiration to us all.

O saints of God, intercede in our behalf.

H

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users