#1 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 16 June 2014 - 03:41 AM

Could someone tell me why is pork not allowed in some religions?

Thanks

#2 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:02 PM

As far as I understand it from my memory of studying world religions as an undergraduate the rules around clean and unclean foods developed in a tribal society so would have related partially to what it was possible to keep as animals in a nomadic group.  

The main thing about Pork and other pig products is that they go off very quickly in hot environments.  Most of the other band food are the produce of carnivorous animals which it is not advisable to eat as they have a higher conentration of toxins which they have absorbed form their food, on this line also pigs eat anything so may well have come into contact with things which are harmful to humans.

I hope this helps

Phoebe

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

Perhaps also the prohibition derives from the difference between ruminant and monogastric digestive systems. Human beings and pigs (whose flesh is very similar to human flesh) have a monogastric system.

#4 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:47 PM

Thank you

#5 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

I thought it had something to do with the swine that the demons went in.

But then I thought about the vision I think St Paul had that God said everything He made is not unclean.

Edited by Angie, 16 June 2014 - 09:53 PM.

#6 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 01:01 AM

Personally, I always felt that God's dietary laws for the Israelites was to protect them from foods which would harm them.

Pork has always been a harborer of the parasite trichinosis, which is very dangerous and deadly If slightly undercooked and consumed. 

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Trichinosis

My grandfather, who was a restaurateur, would never eat pork or allow his family to eat it. Indeed, he had a friend who died of trichinosis from eating pork.

(Apparently I am in good company with my theory, since Maimonedes thought along these lines too: "The kashrut and halal dietary laws of Judaism and Islam prohibit eating pork. In the 19th century, when the association between trichinosis and undercooked pork was first established, it was suggested that this association was the reason for the prohibition, reminiscent of the earlier opinion of the medieval Jewish philosopher Maimonides that food forbidden by Jewish law was "unwholesome". This theory was controversial and eventually fell out of favor."[24]--wikipedia)

Jews still follow these ancient dietary guidelines until this day.

Muslims, because of their trade routes and contact with both Christians and Jews, adapted ideas here and there from each religion. Perhaps they found out about pork being prohibited by God from the Jews and thus, adapted it for their own religion? I am not sure if Mohammed had anything to say about it in the Koran, though I am assuming that he did.

Edited by Alice, 17 June 2014 - 01:04 AM.

#7 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:04 AM

Pigs were considered unclean, not to mention they aren't the best livestock to keep in the desert, they would overheat. And yes I do hold an opinion that this 'strange creature' (by semitic standards) got a few sick because of consuming it medium rare, so it fell out of favor millenia ago.

Of course there's some cultures that wonder why we don't eat guinea pigs, horses, cats, dogs, racoons and rats. And there is atleast one religion that does not eat cow and think the rest of the planet is sacrilege for doing so.

#8 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:52 AM

I eat coons. Any religion that doesn't eat cows best stay away from the smoke from my grill.

Good grief, I leave for 6 months and what are we talking about once again? BBQ! mmm mmm mmm

#9 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

YUCK!! Racoons?!?

I eat coons. 

#10 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

As far as I understand it from my memory of studying world religions as an undergraduate the rules around clean and unclean foods developed in a tribal society so would have related partially to what it was possible to keep as animals in a nomadic group.  

The main thing about Pork and other pig products is that they go off very quickly in hot environments.  Most of the other band food are the produce of carnivorous animals which it is not advisable to eat as they have a higher conentration of toxins which they have absorbed form their food, on this line also pigs eat anything so may well have come into contact with things which are harmful to humans.

I hope this helps

Phoebe

I've read somewhere and it seems rational that the main reason is that pigs in contrary to sheep or goats require quality food to eat (in this part of the world oat and potatoes mostly) while sheep or goat can eat grass or some branches and are fine with that. When in desert or semi-desert climate you have a choice between giving food to animals or eating it by yourself the choice is a simple one.

#11 Teresa

Teresa

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 06 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

I'm curious-which religions don't allow pork? I know that Roman Catholics are not allowed to eat meat on certain Fridays, but I have never heard of a religion prohibiting meat altogether.

#12 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:15 PM

Look up the religion of PETA or veganism. They are religions unto themselves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users