22 replies to this topic

#21 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 18 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

To clarify the question and answer somewhat (since the question is a bit convoluted and the answer presumes a specific interpretation). In some jurisdictions (in the US especially) the long term diaconate had almost become non-existent as the need for priests became so acute and the supply of educated and trained clergymen so thin that the diaconate as a separate ministry had indeed become rare, especially outside the cathedrals. In the past I have seen this tendency in the GOA, AAA and OCA mostly (in fact in many cases the parish priest had no clue what to do with a deacon if he had one), however, this trend seems to be reversing itself somewhat in the recent years. The Russian Church (both in Russia and abroad) has maintained a more consistent and healthy diaconate. It is not uncommon even to find priests now in the Russian Church Abroad who were deacons and even protodeacons of many years experience (my own dean is one of them, as am I).

In the Russian Church it seems to me to be not uncommon to have a "career" deacon in a parish, even in the outlying mission parishes.

Being a deacon is a lot like the way CS Lewis described being a prince in "A Horse and His Boy". When one is king (the priest) he has a great deal of privilege coupled with awesome responsibility - but the prince (deacon) gets to enjoy many of the "perks" of the privilege without the weight of the responsibility. I tried to avoid the priesthood - but alas God caught up with me in the end.

Fr David

#22 Herman Blaydoe

Herman Blaydoe

• Moderators
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:15 PM

I have heard that one of the smallest jurisdictions in the US, ACROD, has more deacons than any other. While deacons are generally, and probably strongly, encouraged to "move up" to the priesthood, we still have a sizable (for our size particularly) number of deacons.

#23 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 18 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

In the Russian Church it seems to me to be not uncommon to have a "career" deacon in a parish, even in the outlying mission parishes.

My experience in Moscow and provincial towns is that this is the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users