Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

Living in an isolated mountain cabin as an Orthodox?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

Living in a monastery or skete does not confer exemption from complying with the law of the land or from paying the penalty for breaking it.

#42 Gregorik

Gregorik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:33 PM

Living in a monastery or skete does not confer exemption from complying with the law of the land or from paying the penalty for breaking it.

You are right, and I don't plan to do much speeding and bankrobbing if I may enter a skete in the future.

But I stand by my belief that Paul's stoicheia tou kosmou passages (Galatians, Colossians) are at the heart of the matter, as opposed to Romans 13:1-7 which have been abused for centuries. 

I recommend a book on the very subject: "Romans 13: The true meaning of submission".

http://www.amazon.co...words=romans 13

My apologies for the post that was removed by the moderator.

#43 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:49 PM

Living in a monastery or skete does not confer exemption from complying with the law of the land or from paying the penalty for breaking it.

Depends where you live and who you are. But not usually, idneed.

#44 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

But I stand by my belief that Paul's stoicheia tou kosmou passages (Galatians, Colossians) are at the heart of the matter, as opposed to Romans 13:1-7 which have been abused for centuries. 

I recommend a book on the very subject: "Romans 13: The true meaning of submission".

http://www.amazon.co...words=romans 13

Rather than base your belief on what a Baptist pastor has written about Romans 13:1-7, would it not be more beneficial to seek out what Orthodox saints and Fathers have said about it?

#45 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:26 PM

Re the link in post #42, I would not, of course, as an Orthodox Christian, turn to a heretical source for guidance on Scripture.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users