• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mark Ruffle

Mark Ruffle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 04 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

Hi, I wish to join the Monkhood, although I'm not Catholic, I'm Christian. Although I'm not entirely opposed to converting to Catholicism if I find the monastery I'm seeking.

I want a place that allows me to continue education and attain degrees in Biblical Studies/Languages.

I want a place that won't be particular about length of ones hairs, I wouldn't allow my hair to get filthy or out of control, but I can't stand not having the choice of my hairs length.

I want a place that where's hood robes, but places that allow the monks to dress casually a few times a week or periodically would be nice.

I'm not entirely particular any sort of climate, I'd prefer an environment in which I could continue to experience all four seasons, but I'll take what I can get.

Does anyone have knowledge of a casual Christian or Catholic Monastery? Or perhaps something else that I may be unaware of?

All and all, I want to join a place where I won't have to work to pay bills for the rest of my life. Although I would enjoy working or being put to work on a monastery, I'm quite handy, I have experience in my odd jobs, and flooring, and landscaping, if I found a place that I could tend the to the land or help with construction that would be very fulfilling.

I appreciate your thoughts, and may God bless you.
:-)

#2 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

Dear Mark

I must make it clear from the start that this forum is for the discussion of the beliefs, teachings and practices of the Orthodox Church from its liturgical, monastic, historical and patristic tradition. For this reason, it is beyond the forum's scope to comment on, or recommend monasteries which are not part of the Orthodox Church.

I will say this, though: Entry into Orthodox monastic life is only open to those who are members of the Orthodox Church through baptism or chrismation, and following proper assessment of one's suitability for monastic life by an experienced abbot. A monastery is a place where one goes to serve God with all one's heart and being, not an escape from the difficulties and responsibilities of life in the world. Using the latter as a reason to become a monk will always end badly.

Moreover, a central principle of monastic life is obedience to the authority of one's abbot, and a cultivation of personal humility before one's monastic brethren and, most importantly, before God. The notion of "I want ...." is not one which will go far in monastic life.

I would not be alone in urging you to seriously consider what I have said.

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

I entirely endorse Olga's comments.

#4 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

Mark,

Just to be clear, I imagine when you say convert to catholicism you mean conversion to the roman catholic church under the pope of Rome. This website and forum is for Eastern Orthodox Christianity. We Orthodox are not affiliated with Rome.

Its unlikely that you will find what your seeking. If you believe and truly make a confession of faith and be baptised you can find a good spiritual Father. He can guide you and advise you on a prayer rule and ascetic disciplines to follow on your own. You can make pilgrimages to monasteries and stay for a few days.

Even idiorythmic monasteries and erimitic monasticm is scarce.

Edited by Kosta, 07 September 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#5 Paul Cowan

Paul Cowan

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:22 PM

Move back home and live in your parents basement and you will have all of your above wants met. At least until they die and they come to shut off the power, water and gas to the home then you can probably go live in a cabin in the woods if you can find one not in use but again with no utilities. Do you not think monks have to pay their bills?

#6 Mark Harris

Mark Harris

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:52 PM

A few google searches will give you tons to read about becoming a monk - here is just one and it may be worth raiding a few to get a better idea : http://www.monastery...y_be_a_monk.pdf

#7 Ilya Zhitomirskiy

Ilya Zhitomirskiy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:41 PM

I second what the other users are saying. If you want to specifically become a Catholic, as in Catholic in Communion with Rome, monk, then I would suggest you ask at Catholic Answers, at http://forums.catholic.com and try to figure out what order would be best for you. If you want to become an Orthodox monastic, then your post would be appropriate.

Edited by Ilya Zhitomirskiy, 17 September 2014 - 09:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users