#1 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:43 PM

What are antimentions "attached" to? Priest, parish, bishop, diocese?

For example does parish with multiple priests have ones for each or is there one for all? When the priest switches the parish within the diocese does he take antimension with him or he does he start using the one from the new parish? What about moving to a parish in another diocese? What about occasional services in other parishes in or outside diocese when he would preside the services? I antimentions are given to priests can a priest serve on another priest's antimension? If they are for a specified priest what happens when the priest dies or leaves priesthood? When a new bishop comes to diocese are antimensions replaced or are the old ones used?

etc.

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

The anitimins "belongs to" the ruling bishop of the diocese (whoever he may be) - not as "personal property" but as the head of the diocese and are placed by him on the altars of the various Churches in his diocese.  A missionary priest whose purpose is to esablish new parishes may be given an antimins that travels with him until a permanent altar is established where that antimins rests.  A priest does not generally take the antimins with him when he leaves a parish - the only situation in which I could see this happening is if his departure was related to the closing of the parish - and then he would need to be acting in accord with the bishop's instructions.

Fr David

#3 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

So that means there is one per parish?

#4 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:49 PM

I believe it is one per church in the bishop's diocese.

#5 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:41 PM

Generally there is one per altar (and so a Church with one altar has one antimins, a Church with two altars will have two and three altars will have three), however, as I said, a mission priest may have an antimins that is not tied to a particular altar but used to serve the liturgy in places where there is no permanent altar.

Fr David

#6 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users