Photo
- - - - -

St. Isaac the Syrian - Ascetical Homilies & misattributions

st isaac the syrian kallistos ware hilarion alfayev apokatastasis sebastian brock

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony Cornett

Anthony Cornett

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 08 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

Recently, John Sanidopoulos's website Mystagogy featured a 7 part series examining the validity of the so-called Pseudo-Isaac texts that have found their way not only in the Greek language print, but also English. These texts, found to be by another Isaac of the Nestorian Church, have gained support by very prominent English-speaking theologians such as Metropolitans Kallistos Ware and Hilarion Alfayev. It seems that various accusations of apokatastasis directed at these two stem from their apparent acceptance of these Pseudo-Isaac texts as being valid and properly attributed. 

I have linked below to each of the 7 parts of the examination by Protopresbyter Fr. John Photopoulos.

Pt. 1/7, Pt. 2/7, Pt. 3/7, Pt. 4/7, Pt. 5/7, Pt. 6/7, Pt. 7/7

#2 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:00 AM

Thank you Anthony for the above links. Its the first time I've seen anyone claim the Assyrian Isaac is not the same person as the one referenced by Orthodox Saints.

The excerpts from pt 6 does seem to show different authorship. I wonder if there is a collection of the most ancient written Orthodox sources quoting St. Isaac and whether these can be found in the newer discovered manuscripts. It shouldn't be hard to verify whether these works are from 2 seperate sources.

From what I've read the original manuscripts area found on the Mar Saava monastery in Jerusalem , but the monks originally only translated into greek the non controversial chapters with a few of the names changed around.

Edited by Kosta, 09 October 2014 - 03:06 AM.

#3 Anthony Cornett

Anthony Cornett

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 09 October 2014 - 03:21 AM

As mentioned in one of the posts, Geronda Pa├»sios of Blessed Memory was adamant about St. Isaac belonging with the Eastern Orthodox, confirmed by a vision of the Saint walking amongst the Holy Fathers. The talks of him being a Nestorian in attempts to slander his worthy honor brought Geronda much grief until the comforting confirmation came his way.  

#4 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:55 AM

I find the criticisms of pseudo- Isaac about references to Theodore of Mopsuestia as evidence for different Isaac to be weak. In that if the Orthodox Isaac lived 100 years earlier, that Isaac as well would be quoting from Theodore. Theodore really was that big in syrian theology, even his condemnation at the 5th Council in 554 ad took decades to sink in both in Syria and in parts of Italy.

The smoking gun is whether there really is a letter of Orthodox Isaac dating to the early 6th century and whether the "newly discovered" writings are of a seperate corpus of writings, a disconnect between the two.

Edited by Kosta, 09 October 2014 - 05:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users