#21 Anthony Cornett

Anthony Cornett

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:59 PM

I have also seen plenty Epistles being read from the chanter stand: http://youtu.be/JA4-SzgTGC8?t=1h17m47s

#22 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

My recollection is that this is common in Cyprus and Greece in small local churches (though the You Tube clip is something quite grand) whereas in Russia (whence I returned two weeks ago), I have never seen the Epistle read from the chanter stand (kliros) whether in Christ the Saviour Cathedral or a small local church (like the one near Zvenigorod where I went three weeks ago). 

Edited by Reader Andreas, 11 October 2014 - 07:18 AM.

#23 Brian Patrick Mitchell

Brian Patrick Mitchell

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

When a deacon or reader reads Holy Scripture in church, he does not address the people but merely gives voice to Holy Scripture as a member of the Body, one among the people. So like the people, he faces the altar.

When a bishop or priest reads the Gospel in the Divine Liturgy, he reads it from the bema (vema) in the place of Christ, the Head of the Body, coming to the people as Christ came to them in the Incarnation and comes to them in the Holy Eucharist. So he faces the people.

But when a bishop or priest reads the Gospel outside of the Divine Liturgy, he reads it from either the altar or the center of the church, and he also faces the altar.

This is, at least, the best rationale I have heard and can think of.

Pdn. Patrick

Edited by Brian Patrick Mitchell, 16 October 2014 - 08:44 PM.

#24 Algernon

Algernon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:16 PM

But when a bishop or priest reads the Gospel outside of the Divine Liturgy, he reads it from either the altar or the center of the church, and he also faces the altar.

I've seen priests during Matins read the Gospel standing at the side of and facing the altar. Why do they do it that way?

Edited by Algernon, 28 October 2014 - 08:18 PM.

#25 Anthony Cornett

Anthony Cornett

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

I've seen priests during Matins read the Gospel standing at the side of and facing the altar. Why do they do it that way?

This is standard practice, unless it's a major feast, upon which the Festal Gospel is read from the front step. The standard set of Orthros Gospels, and the hymns preceding it, refer to the myrrh bearing women, Christ's tomb, and the Resurrection. The reading in this manner is representative of Christ's tomb. 

More can be found in this thread: http://www.monachos....ing-in-orthros/

#26 Brian Patrick Mitchell

Brian Patrick Mitchell

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:11 PM

I've seen priests during Matins read the Gospel standing at the side of and facing the altar.

Interesting. I've never seen the Gospel read from the side, except for molebens. I wonder how standard it is. My own experience has been mostly ROCOR and OCA.

Edited by Brian Patrick Mitchell, 03 November 2014 - 09:59 PM.

#27 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:17 PM

I thought it was general practice for the Matins Gospel to be read from the south side of the altar.

#28 Brian Patrick Mitchell

Brian Patrick Mitchell

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 02:43 AM

I thought it was general practice for the Matins Gospel to be read from the south side of the altar.

It's definitely not general practice in the U.S., at least in Slavic churches. In fact, others with much broader experience than I have tell me it's unheard of. 

#29 Brian Patrick Mitchell

Brian Patrick Mitchell

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 03:42 AM

It appears to be an Athonite practice. From the Athonite typicon:

"Воскресное Евангелие читается служащим иеромонахом на правой стороне престола,
а в остальных случаях — в Царских вратах, лицом к народу."
"The Resurrection Gospel is read by the serving priest-monk on the right side of
the altar table; in other cases - in the Royal Doors, facing the people".

#30 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

The Resurrection Gospel lessons are read from within the altar, the most important part of the Orthodox temple, which here represents the Tomb of our Lord. On other feast days, the Gospel is read in the midst of the people. This is done because an icon is placed in the center of the Temple, representing the saint or event being celebrated whose meaning the Gospel proclaims.

From the web site of St John's Orthodox Church, Washington DC.

#31 Brian Patrick Mitchell

Brian Patrick Mitchell

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

Just so there's no confusion: At St. John's in DC, when the Matins Gospel is read in the altar, it is read from its usual place on the Holy Table, with the priest facing east; when it's read in the nave, it is read in the center of the nave, with a deacon holding the Gospel book and the bishop or priest facing east while reading. This, I believe, is standard Russian practice.

#32 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 09:14 PM

Just so there's no confusion: At St. John's in DC, when the Matins Gospel is read in the altar, it is read from its usual place on the Holy Table, with the priest facing east; when it's read in the nave, it is read in the center of the nave, with a deacon holding the Gospel book and the bishop or priest facing east while reading. This, I believe, is standard Russian practice.

Seems right.

Edited by Michał, 04 November 2014 - 09:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users