1 reply to this topic

#1 Anton S.

Anton S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:45 PM

I have a friend or, to be more precise, a good acquaintance, who used to be Orthodox, but left the Orthodox Church about two years ago. I met him soon after that and I found his state rather worrying. He was manifestly unbalanced, nervous and kept talking about his leaving the Church - somewhat incoherently.

I found it difficult to understand the reason he gave for his decision - he said something to the effect that he continued to believe in God but he did not believe he would be saved because he hated some people and wanted to kill them and would have killed them if he had not been afraid of the police. It was strange to hear such words from a mild and kindly intellectual. He had also had some very trying experience - his wife had been injured in a road accident, his mother was ailing, He was also very much agitated about some political issues.

I tried to say the usual things to him - that God forgives repenting sinners, that politics and other things of this world are less important than eternity, etc. But he was in such a state that he simply could not hear what people say to him and needed to talk himself all the time. I am not a psychiatrist, so could not diagnose him, but I was sure that he needed counselling or even, perhaps, psychiatric assistance.

I saw him this year, in spring, and he seemed to have stuck in this abnormal state of the mind. Recently, he has taken an extremely foolish and dangerous step. Things are made worse by the fact that his wife encourages his madness.

I am very sad about all that, for he is a very good man - kind, helpful, generous...

His name is Maxim. I would like to ask you to pray for him. He has gone a long way towards perdition, but, perhaps, our prayers could help him a little.

#2 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:49 PM

Lord have mercy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users