#1 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:53 PM

There seem to be hardly any representations of the Sermon on the Mount which may be thought surprising since it contains the most famous words of Christ and the central tenets of His teaching. I know only of the mosaic in Sant' Apollinare in Ravenna:

sermon-on-the-mount.jpg

and this modern icon by whom I do not know:

sermon_sm.jpg

Does anyone have any ideas why this famous event is not generally depicted?

#2 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 12:15 PM

All events that are not 12 major feasts are very rarely depicted. Icons are not book illustrations.

Edited by Michał, 14 December 2014 - 12:16 PM.

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 02:24 PM

It is likely that all members know that icons are not book illustrations. There are themes depicted in icons apart from the twelve great feasts, for example, the Lord at the marriage at Cana, healing the blind man and also the paralytic, washing the feet of the disciples, raising Lazarus, and the agony in the garden of Gethsemane.

#4 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

Are therer any icons of the LORD driving out the money changers?

#5 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

I had noticed that most of the Icons we see of biblical seens are related to the Sunday Gospel reading, I think it may be as the sermon on the mount is rarely if ever read on Sundays it has not been a subject of interest for most people until more recently as if I remember rightly the passages from the sermon on the mount are most commonly read on weekdays so less heard and less depicted.

I suspect that the frequency of depicting a sean is related to how often the passage is heard in Parishes (so on a Saturday, Sunday or Great feasts).  I also have a  suspican the technicality less complicated icons are preferred by the iconogriphers, given what a friend of mine who is an iconogripher said about the process of preparing to write an icons.  The scarcity of these icons is probably a mixture of few people making them and few commissioning them.

this is my take of the situation, I may have got the wrong idea but this is how I see it.

#6 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:18 PM

However, the beatitudes are the third antiphon in the Divine Liturgy (though omitted in the Greek use).

Christ driving out the money changers is depicted eg at Monreale, Sicily (which I saw last year), and at St Nikita monastery, FYR Macedonia.

#7 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

There are indeed icons of Christ driving out the moneychangers, as Andreas mentioned.

The Sermon on the Mount is usually the appointed Gospel reading for feastdays of hieromartyrs, holy fools, and, as in the case of St Nicholas of Myra, some hierarchs. Therefore it would be read in church multiple times a year, depending on the number and range of Divine Liturgies held by the particular parish or monastery.

#8 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:49 PM

And yet no icon of this . . .

#9 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:52 PM

And yet no icon of this . . .

Let me see what I can do .... :)

#10 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:05 AM

It is likely that all members know that icons are not book illustrations. There are themes depicted in icons apart from the twelve great feasts, for example, the Lord at the marriage at Cana, healing the blind man and also the paralytic, washing the feet of the disciples, raising Lazarus, and the agony in the garden of Gethsemane.

Apart from the latter two, have not seen icons depicting the rest (not saying there aren't ones, though). On frescoes - yes, however frescoes are a bit different from icons in terms of motives (frescoes can depict more motives) and treatment (frescoes are not venerated).

Apart from the latter two, have not seen icons depicting the rest (not saying there aren't ones, though). On frescoes - yes, however frescoes are a bit different from icons in terms of motives (frescoes can depict more motives) and treatment (frescoes are not venerated).

I had noticed that most of the Icons we see of biblical seens are related to the Sunday Gospel reading, I think it may be as the sermon on the mount is rarely if ever read on Sundays it has not been a subject of interest for most people until more recently as if I remember rightly the passages from the sermon on the mount are most commonly read on weekdays so less heard and less depicted.

It's not read but it's sung every Sunday.

Edited by Michał, 15 December 2014 - 08:06 AM.

#11 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:13 AM

(frescoes are not venerated).

Not true. They are indeed venerated, every time the icons are censed during church services. Kissing is not the only way veneration can be expressed.

It's not read but it's sung every Sunday.

Again, not true. Luke 6: 17-23 is the appointed Gospel reading several times a year. Indeed, it will be read this Friday, for the feast of St Nicholas of Myra, for those on the old calendar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users