OCA - Russian Church?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Michael Stickles

Michael Stickles

• Moderators
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

I think I'll start my own breakaway jurisdiction, "The Genuine and Apostolic Chinese-Japanese-Irish Orthodox Church of North America".

I don't know - the name's just not long enough to be impressive, and breakaway jurisdictions need really impressive names. Something like this name of a group I saw on another forum - "The One True Old Posters of the Genuine Ancient Way in Exile From Christian Forums Resistance in Communion with Baklavas Synod in Exile Abroad".

Remember - if it all fits on one line, it's not long enough ;).

In humor,
Michael
The One True Virtual Geek-Orthodox Technophilic Community of Russian Liturgical Heritage Not Really in Resistance to Anyone Except Non-Monastic Technophobes and COBOL Users

#22 D. W. Dickens

D. W. Dickens

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

<jk>
COBOL is a heresy. All true believers can TRACE their INHERITANCE through FORTRAN.
</jk>

I noticed the change in the message board labels. Who'd have thought that a little new guy like me could cause a bubble up? Well, I guess Father Ambrose actually caused the thread to be started.

#23 Joel Grigsby

Joel Grigsby

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:39 AM

Perhaps I missed it, but has anyone mentioned (or noticed) that the options in the selection list have, in fact, changed?

Herman

Honored Moderators,

Thank you for hearing the voice of those who moaned here. You listened. You changed. You didn't have to. Thank you. It has been a pleasure unloading my growing pains in the faith on you. The blessings of God be on you forever.

Joel Grigsby

#24 D. W. Dickens

D. W. Dickens

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:55 AM

Thank you for hearing the voice of those who moaned here. You listened. You changed. You didn't have to. Thank you. It has been a pleasure unloading my growing pains in the faith on you. The blessings of God be on you forever.

I, too, want to express my unreserved appreciation for the benefactors and moderators of this board. I'm new here, but this has already proved a delightful surprise and remarkably good for me. God's ways are mysterious and I cannot tell you why He sees fit to subject you all to my unfortunate company. I'll endeavor to not burden too greatly.

#25 Ilya Zhitomirskiy

Ilya Zhitomirskiy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:55 PM

My profile is Russian/OCA because I was born in Russia, speak Russian, and attend a predominantly russian COCA parish. So the Russian?OCA label still has a raison d'etre

#26 Dcn Alexander Haig

Dcn Alexander Haig

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

Monachos.net: Orthodoxy through Patristic, Monastic & Liturgical Study

So starts every page on this website. This forum is not on 'Orthodoxy' as such but has as its foci patristic, monastic and liturgical study: for these purposes it can be useful to know from which tradition the contributor comes (particularly liturgics which can vary in differing traditions); by these criteria, the description of 'Russian Orthodox' is correct.

The forum has, however, become much more than this: while we are reminded to keep it on focus, it wanders and has become one of the first ports of call for many who are enquiring about the Orthodox Faith. In this situation I find the use of ethnically understood descriptors to make the Church seem divided into denominations rather than the living Church of God. The Church being divided in the West is a sadness, that we continue this with names other than 'Orthodox Christian' is perhaps worse.

In Xp
Rdr Alexander

#27 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

On the other hand, a person's description of themselves as 'Russian Orthodox' may simply indicate their being within certain traditions and approaches to Orthodox praxis that distinguish them from other Orthodox groups. We Orthodox are not a completely homogenous people; within Orthodoxy, there is room for variation of praxis (though not of faith). This is not necessarily an ethnic matter but merely a difference of observance on the part of those who belong to a particular tradition (with a small 't').

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users