2 replies to this topic

#1 sr ryse

sr ryse

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:29 PM

My "Устав Православного Богослужения" by Kashkin, says that on Cheesefare Sunday and all Sundays of Great Lent the Canon to the Theotokos is omitted, but unfortunately it explains why it is omitted... 

"канон не поется так как на кануне совершалось бдение"

The canon is omitted because on the eve a Vigil was served

Does this mean that even during the times outside of Great Lent on Sunday evenings the canon from the Octoechos to the Theotokos is omitted? And today, because St. Nicholas is a Vigil rank saint, we wouldn't not read the canon?

If yes, could someone give a reference where it says that in the Typicon or somewhere? Or maybe share the practices they have encountered?

#2 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:04 AM

I cannot directly answer the question on whether the canon to the Mother of God is omitted outside of Great Lent, but I can say that the appointed canon to her is indeed sung at the vigil for the feast of St Nicholas of Myra.

#3 sr ryse

sr ryse

Junior Poster

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:56 AM

What I meant to say was, would we read the Octoechos canon for Cmpline on the following day, even though a Vigil was celebrated on the eve. I see some sort of correlation to how the Kathisma is omitted on the day following a vigil, like Sunday evening vespers, but I'm not sure if one does likewise to canons on small Compline.

P.S. I'm very sorry I totally forgot to mention in the first post that I was talking about the canons on Small Compline!

Edited by Peter Longan, 20 December 2014 - 05:58 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: liturgics, rubrics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users