#41 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:21 AM

Like Daniel, I was never told by my late spiritual father, Bishop Irenaeos, to fast before partaking of holy water but to take it as and when there is a need. I also remember that he would bless with holy water by sprinkling it everywhere. Why should not the floor be blessed as the walls and all else in the space that is being blessed?

#42 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:59 AM

Olga, not everything we do is right.

#43 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:32 AM

Olga, not everything we do is right.

If Orthodox priests and bishops the world over are instructed through their liturgical books to use the holy water blessed at Theophany to sprinkle people and things, and have done so consistently for many centuries, who am I to argue?

Here is part of the service text for the Great Blessing of Water, in Greek and English. Please note the instruction in red between the two hymns:

Τροπάριον Ἦχος α΄ τρὶς

Ἐν Ἰορδάνῃ βαπτιζομένου σου Κύριε, ἡ τῆς Τριάδος ἐφανερώθη προσκύνησις· τοῦ γὰρ Γεννήτορος ἡ φωνὴ προσεμαρτύρει σοι, ἀγαπητόν σε Υἱὸν ὀνομάζουσα· καὶ τὸ Πνεῦμα ἐν εἴδει περιστερᾶς, ἐβεβαίου τοῦ λόγου τὸ ἀσφαλές. Ὁ ἐπιφανεὶς Χριστὲ ὁ Θεός, καὶ τὸν κόσμον φωτίσας δόξα σοι.

Καὶ ῥαντίζει πάντα τὸν Λαὸν ἐκ τοῦ ὕδατος. Εἰσερχόμενοι δὲ ἐν τῷ Ναῷ, ψάλλομεν τὸ πάρον Ἰδιόμελον εἰς Ἦχον πλ. β΄

Ἀνυμνήσωμεν οἱ πιστοί, τῆς περὶ ἡμᾶς τοῦ Θεοῦ οἰκονομίας τὸ μέγεθος· ἐν γὰρ τῷ ἡμῶν παραπτώματι, γενόμενος ἄνθρωπος, τὴν ἡμῶν κάθαρσιν καθαίρεται ἐν τῷ Ἰορδάνῃ, ὁ μόνος καθαρὸς καὶ ἀκήρατος, ἁγιάζων ἐμὲ καὶ τὰ ὕδατα καὶ τάς κεφαλὰς τῶν δρακόντων, συντρίβων ἐπὶ τοῦ ὕδατος.Ἀντλήσωμεν οὖν ὕδωρ, μετ᾽ εὐφροσύνης ἀδελφοί· ἡ γὰρ χάρις τοῦ Πνεύματος, τοῖς πιστῶς ἀντλοῦσιν, ἀοράτως ἐπιδίδοται, παρὰ Χριστοῦ τοῦ Θεοῦ, καὶ Σωτῆρος τῶν ψυχῶν ἠιμών.

Troparion in Tone 1.

As You were baptised in the Jordan, Lord, the worship of the Trinity was made manifest, for the voice of the Father bore witness to You, naming You the Beloved Son; and the Spirit, in the form of a dove, confirmed the sureness of the word. Christ our God, who appeared and enlightened the world, glory to You.

And he sprinkles all the People with the water. As we enter the Church we chant the following Idiomel in Tone 6.

Let us the faithful praise the greatness of God’s dispensation concerning us. For in our transgression He, alone clean and undefiled, becoming man, is cleansed in the Jordan, sanctifying me and the waters, and crushing the heads of the dragons on the waters. Let us therefore draw water with gladness, brethren. For the grace of the Spirit is being given invisibly to those who draw with faith by Christ, God and the Saviour of our souls.

There is also the custom, carried out all over the Orthodox world, of priests visiting people's homes at Theophany to conduct house blessings. The holy water the priest uses to sprinkle all over the house, and over the people present in it, is water blessed at that morning's Theophany service.

#44 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 05:59 AM

There is a custom in the greek tradition to keep the blessed waters of the lesser service and that of the greater segregated.   One reserved for sprinkling the other for drinking. I imagine its what Father has said about a practise arising out of piety.  I faintly remember this topic discussed before and I found the link. As you can see from the original two posts from 2 years ago this is still taught in the greek churches:

Difference in types of holy water? - Feasts - Monachos.net Discussion Community

#45 Peter

Peter

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

I was wondering why traditionally women do not dive for the cross in the ocean during the Theophany Feast?

I heard that a female indeed did dive for it this year in Melbourne? 

My daughter would also like to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users