2 replies to this topic

#1 Acacius

Acacius

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

Dear fathers, brothers and sisters,

Christ is born! Glorify Him! I was wondering when the Artoklasia loaves should be distributed if there is a Liturgy following the Vigil, like the Eve of Nativity (slavic tradition)? People are supposed to be fasting the whole day prior the services in order to partake the communion. By the way I've never seen any Litya service on the Eve of Nativity, nor a full all-night service (Great Complines, Matins and First Hour). I was told there are many simplifications that vary according the local practice.

Under the greek practice the Liturgy is celebrated in the morning, right?

#2 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

There is provisan for two liturgy's of the feast of Nativity (and Theophony for that matter) a liturgy of St Basel after vespers on the eve and a liturgy on the morning of the feast (this one being St John Chysostom).  As far as I understand the only place where both happen is lager monastery where there are sufficient Priests for it to be practical, the full round of services will be done as on Mont Athos.

Vespers is set up with the assumption of a liturgy, which makes it slightly more difficult to say it without one, as my parish do, we do the Artoklasia blessing then since we are not doing a liturgy.  With only one Priest in our parish it is simplest of us to do the liturgy in the morning, though we did a second Artoklasia blessing then for those who had not come to vespers.

I can only say my experience, and I would assume that the loves would be distibuted post the liturgy.  I am sore someone who has been on Mont Athos or another place where all night vidules are held will be able to enlighten us to how it is done in that situation.

#3 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

Every church in my neighbourhood has both st. Basil's and st. John's Liturgy (and vigil before the 2nd Liturgy). What I was told you can have the bread if you do not intend to take Eucharist on the 2nd Liturgy (or you should take it and keep until after the Eucharist).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: liturgics, vigil, artoklasia, nativity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users