• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Maria-Magdalena

Maria-Magdalena

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 10 January 2015 - 07:32 AM

I need some help, friends.  A friend of mine and I are researching the topic named above.  We participate in a historical re-enactment group, and as we are Christians, we'd like to accurately reflect the devotional practice of the devout Byzantine laywoman in Constantinople in the time frame that ranges from 900-1000 A.D.  

Not only for our historical re-enactment, but also for our own spiritual edification would we like to find sources on this subject.  

Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated!

#2 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:13 AM

Im not sure how much you will find pertaining to the Jesus prayer and whether there was a specific way it was prayed by women of that time.. Frederica Matthews-Green had written a book on the history of the Jesus prayer, she usually likes to present any role women may have had in things.

The byzantine princess Anna Komnene wrote an important history of the empire during her father's reign. Even though it deals mostly with military conflicts, from her style of writing emerges snippets of what it was like to be a devout woman of nobility of that time. Im sure there are also books written about her as she is considered the first female historian, she wrote in 1148ad

Theres also a book called, "Byzantine Women and Their World" by a Loli Kalavrezou published by harvard.

Edited by Kosta, 11 January 2015 - 05:16 AM.

#3 Maria-Magdalena

Maria-Magdalena

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 07:41 AM

Thank you, sincerely, Kosta!  I will look in the directions you suggest!

#4 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:14 AM

When looking through books on amazon I came across this book but quite pricey:

Amazon.com: Byzantine Women: Varieties of Experience 800-1200 (Centre for Hellenic Studies, King's College London) (Centre for Hellenic Studies, King's College London) (9780754657378): Lynda Garland: Books

#5 Loucas

Loucas

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 09:38 PM

That is very interresting. I have read many books and papers about the Jesus Prayer, some are guides as to how and why the prayer has been used and others are more on the Spiritual topic of the rewards and origins of the Prayer. I guess I have never come across anything that mentioned women having a different method or goal than men with regard to the Jesus prayer. Something new everyday

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: history, devotional practice, 900-1000 ad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users