Sbdn. Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 13 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

Hello friends!

With the canonization of the blessed Saint Paisios the New today, I was wondering who determines/how it is determined what modes/tones the hymns to newly canonized Saints will be?  Also, are the poets and hymnographers selected by the ruling bishop of a Church, or what?  Are there numerous "entries"? Thanks!

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 14 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

I'm not a liturgist or anything, but I do recall that when St John of San Francisco was glorfied the service was commissioned by the Synod of Bishops and Archbishop Anthony of San Francisco (who was a talented and highly respected liturgist) was given the task by the Synod to compose the service.  How he determined and chose the tones etc, I don't know.

Fr David Moser

#3 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:08 PM

In Romania for Saints that do not have an akathist for an example, people make submissions to the synod and they then have to approval it if it is correct to use in the Church.

#4 Dcn Alexander Haig

Dcn Alexander Haig

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

I think, nowadays, often they look to saints who have a similar life and choose the same mode: it is no surprise to me that the Apolytikion for St Paisios is in the same mode (first) as St Porphyrios and also St Nectarios.

In Xp

Alexander

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tone, mode, new saint

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users