• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pontian

Pontian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 18 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

My parents were never married. Last year I was baptized into the Serbian Orthodox Church. I was never really raised Christian but I used to be Catholic.

I have had a desire to become a Deacon for quite some time (even as a Catholic). From my understanding you cannot become a Priest if your parents were never married. Is it the same for the deaconate? I intend to stay obedient to the Church...

Thank you in advance for your responses!

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 18 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

Actually, in the Orthodox Church, you can be ordained regardless of the marital status of your parents.  IIRC in the Roman Catholic tradition a "bastard" (illegitimate child of unmarried parents) cannot enter the priesthood - but then I don't really know much about that tradition so I could be wrong.  In the Orthodox Church no such prohibition exists, however, if you have children out of wedlock or are living/have lived with a woman out of wedlock, that could be a barrier to ordination.  The attitude of the bishop towards whether or not these actions "pre-baptism" are barriers to ordination will determine how he might react. There are many many more issues in being ordained, but in the end it is the decision of the bishop (not even yours) that is the deciding factor.

APr David Moser

#3 Pontian

Pontian

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

Thank you very much for your response father!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users