Photo
- - - - -

own thoughts and orthodox teaching on other religions?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paul

Paul

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

What are you own thoughts, experience and knowledge. And also the orthodox teaching about other religions?

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 13 February 2015 - 08:33 PM

First, Orthodoxy is not a religion or a denomination - it is the truth, it is Christ. Secondly, Orthodoxy (as I was taught) has the fullness of the truth but not a monopoly of truth. In other words, Christian denominations and even some other religions have some elements of the truth; the closer they are to Orthodoxy, the more truth they have, and conversely the further away from Orthodoxy they are, the less they have of the truth. Apostle Paul said this:

For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus. - Romans 2:14-16.

For Orthodox Christians, there is a greater burden and no excuses because they know the truth.

As to what will happen to others, I was taught this: let us not presume to tell God whom He may have as His friends.

#3 Paul

Paul

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:28 AM

Amen.
Islam does cause a bit of a problem for me, in that it mentions Jesus, the mention of Mary doesn't seem to contridict, but of Jesus it does seem to, although not very clear, when it says about the 'Jew's killed him not. But was made to appear to them, I can't see no contridicion here, as Jesus did say something like I lay down my life of myself, no one took it from him.
Yes I find some very good truths in other religions. Some things maybe errors. But believe followers can be genuine, and seek to be pure in heart.
In some things I things all religions may give the same message but then in something's they don't.
Like reading a bit from Buddhism I think it was, talking thinking oneself clever about wanting to change the world, but wiser to want to change oneself.
Good to want to change oneself, but something that can be very difficult of oneself, only have to look at drug addicts for example. Although I may have a strong will at times. Have even been disciplined, although has cost me. As neglected more important things, I find I need God in my life, to direct me and give me strength, to deliver me from my sinfulness.
Maybe Buddhists can meditate on good things, on love. And on the good attributes that God is, so maybe they can live good lives, but as u say maybe lack the fullness of truth.

#4 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:42 AM

Definitely lacks the fullness of truth: Buddhism is without God and sees no need of a saviour. We must not confuse ethical teaching with a life lived in Christ.

#5 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 11:31 AM

As for Islam, the area where this originated was an area geographically where Arianisam was strong, hence the miss understanding of Christ and to some extent of his mother.  There was a lot of interation between the early Muslims and Christianity, notably when the Ethiopians protected them from the other Arab tribes.  It is however from the Arian tradition the Muslims get the Idea that Christ seemed to die but did not really, and that he was a Prophet not the liturel Son of God.

I am not going to touch on the moral differences between Islam and Christianity as it is not appropriate.

I have no issue with God saving whoever he will, but those outside of a life in Christ will shorly not receive the same degree of blessing (as they are less prepered for it) as those who were faithful, which is why we invite everyone to come and encounter the Truth.

#6 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:29 PM

Just a reminder that the purpose of the Monachos forum is the discussion of Orthodox Christianity in its patristic, monastic and liturgical expression. It is not about one's own ideas, since we in humility submit our own reasoning and self will to that of Christ which is revealed in the Church. Nor is it about what other religions or spiritual traditions think or teach. Because of this, the present thread is on the fringes (at best) of the purpose of this forum. Keep any and all discussion centered on the teaching of the Orthodox Church.

Fr David

#7 Paul

Paul

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 February 2015 - 08:51 PM

Ok, no problem, I think I really got my answers as much as I can, Any church fathers convert from Islam and other religions, would find that interesting and hopefully useful

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users