4 replies to this topic

#1 amelia

amelia

• Members
  • 0 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:50 PM

Hello!

I am a current convert to Orthodoxy and I thought I'd introduce myself to the forum!

I come from a very Irish, very Roman Catholic family but my mother stopped raising me RC when I was young. She went to night school and worked three jobs so my brother and I spent many days with a babysitter who was going to every church in town to find the denomination for her. So I have a lot of weird theories that each church taught me. For example, I thought that when we died we became angels and I thought this until college!!

At age 14 I started to sing at the RC church in town and continued to do so until 18. When I went to college, I started going to a non-denominational, evangelical church. This is where I started to see so many holes in theories and asked God to guide me to a church that was like that of the NT. I remained active in that church for only two years. When I moved to NYC, I began to look around at Mennonite churches and other evangelical churches but always felt uncomfortable in them. I even went to a few RC churches because I always felt close to God there. But I had issues with the theology of the RC so I never became a member even tho I was asked in high school.

I began to wonder how come there are so many denominations. How did we get from the NT church to the rock concert churches? Was there no way to connect and meet God in a more holy setting? I began my search for the NT church and was so excited to see that it is around! And in English! 

I started going to my Orthodox church last December but had been researching on my own since September. I am currently meeting weekly with the Priest of the church and I attend Divine Liturgy and Vespers weekly. I am just looking to educate myself!

I'm glad to be here! 

#2 Jeremy Troy

Jeremy Troy

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

Hello Amelia, welcome to Monachos, and to the Orthodox Church!

Our stories are somewhat similar-- my family is mostly Irish and French, and predominately Roman Catholic. I was raised partially in the Episcopalian Church and partly in the Roman Catholic Church, and joined the Orthodox Church in college. Currently, I am a seminary student at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology near Boston.

If I may ask: what is the parish that you have been attending? I know a number of Orthodox people from NYC, and was there recently for Metropolitan Joseph's enthronement at the Antiochian Orthodox Cathedral in Brooklyn.

#3 Alxandra

Alxandra

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:59 PM

Hello, I'm Alexia. I was raised Orthodox and I love discussing our beautiful faith. I am under the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Toronto Canada and I am 19 years old. 

God bless. 

#4 Seraphim of the Midwest

Seraphim of the Midwest

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:15 AM

Welcome Amelia.

Generally, people will view but not comment unless they have something substantial to add to the conversation.  So don't get discouraged if you don't get many replies.  You will see how many people read your thread in the "views" stat on the post.  This is expected and stated as such in the Community Handbook.

#5 A. Wright

A. Wright

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:10 AM

Welcome to Monachos, Amelia and Alexia! Hopefully your time on our little corner of the Internet is productive and edifying! Have a very blessed Lent.

In Christ,

A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users