Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

When did some animals become carnivorous ? After the fall or after the flood ?

fall flood animals

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#21 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:59 PM

There's no mention of it because it didn't happen. Look around - for example, Seraphim Rose said meat was not eaten until after the flood. How about you prove, nevertheless, that meat was eaten pre-flood?

#22 Brian Patrick Mitchell

Brian Patrick Mitchell

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 04:09 PM

Andreas, I don't have to prove that meat was eaten by men before the Flood because I have never claimed that to be the "correct" belief supported by a "consensus" of anybody which all Orthodox must accept. I have only said that we have reason to believe men did eat meat before the Flood, since animals were already eating each other from the beginning (St. Basil) and since men were already killing animals and other men from the Fall.

You, however, have stated dogmatically that no man ever ate an animal before the Flood, claiming both correctness and consensus but only now throwing out Seraphim Rose's name as support. What did he actually say? Where did he say it? And so what if he did? He could have been wrong, and you, Ilaria, and Rose do not constitute a consensus.

Why is this so important to you, to insist that you are right about men not eating meat before the Fall? Do you believe animals only learned to eat each other from men? I seem to recall that being a part of your argument in the past.

For my part, I argue now against you because your argument is yet more evidence of the fundamentalism so often on display here -- insisting, against reason, that we all believe something solely because some saint has said it's so. Well, St. Basil says in the Hexaemeron that vipers mate with lampreys, and that's not so.

Edited by Brian Patrick Mitchell, 19 March 2015 - 08:14 PM.

#23 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:12 PM

I will not have the charge of 'fundamentalism' made against me by you (especially) or anybody else. You are out of line.

#24 Brian Patrick Mitchell

Brian Patrick Mitchell

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:23 PM

You were leading people astray, Andreas -- insisting on things not proven that we are not obliged to believe.  

#25 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 07:37 PM

NO! YOU are the one has been leading people astray with your nonsense!

#26 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:44 PM

I am locking this thread for the time being, pending moderatorial review.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users