Photo
- - - - -

My Jordanville prayerbook is falling apart...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kshaft

kshaft

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:40 AM

So my relatively young Jordanville Prayerbook (about 5 years since I bought it) is falling apart. The front part of the cover is totally detached. The cover part along the spine is nearly detached except a 1/3 inch thread and it hangs. The rear part is close to detaching but is still on with the mesh visable.

What should I do with the book?

Should I:

- Just buy a new one (+/- $20)

- rebind the old one (just as much or more $$$ to rebind than to buy a new one but holy book is still used).

- see if HTP will rebind it(still cost nearly as much to just get a new one).

Any suggestions are welcome. Im surprised at how its already falling apart. Thanks.

Keith-Michael

#2 Matthew Panchisin

Matthew Panchisin

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:03 AM

Dear Keith-Michael,

Precious things and moments from the Orthodox Church and faith are preserved, as such your task is simple.

Thanks be to God!

In Christ,

Matthew Panchsiin

Edited by Matthew Panchisin, 31 March 2015 - 05:16 AM.

#3 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:32 AM

If you regard repairing it as too expensive, then buying a new copy and keeping the old one out of respect seems reasonable. Actually, I'm very surprised your copy has deteriorated so quickly. Both copies in my household (a 1996 and 1979 edition) are still in good working order. I've noticed other handbooks produced by the Jordanville press, such as clerical service books, remain intact after years of constant handling. :)

#4 kshaft

kshaft

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:38 AM

Im a bit perplexed about it crumbling apart so soon as well. I really like the morning and evening prayers in the Jordanville. They are really wonderful and Im currently reading about their origin (the specific collection and how they came to be put together at least best guess).

Have a blessed rest of Great Lent.

Keith-Michael

#5 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:44 AM

Perhaps you could contact the printing house after Easter and tell them of your problem. There may well be a quality control issue that might need addressing, of which they are not aware. :)

#6 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:08 AM

The prayers are online at Myriobiblos - you could print off those you use most in the form of an A5 booklet which might be cheaper (or free if you have access to a photocopier).

#7 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:41 AM

Awesome! This means your using it, as intended. I love those liturgical and prayerbooks with the leather embossed covers. Why not inquire and see how much rebinding it that way costs?   

#8 kshaft

kshaft

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

Awesome! This means your using it, as intended. I love those liturgical and prayerbooks with the leather embossed covers. Why not inquire and see how much rebinding it that way costs?   

It would almost assuredly cost more than the cost of a new one. Especially  with a leather cover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users