7 replies to this topic

#1 Kostandin

Kostandin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

What happens if we eat something that contains butter by mistake during great Lent? (Thinking that it had not butter).

Is this considered a fast- breaking if you immediately do not continue eating that, but you have already eaten some of that food?

#2 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

This really is something which you need to talk to your Spiritual father about, it is really up to them.

From my own experience one lapse which as accidental is not normally considered a problem, but really it is between you and your confessor.

#3 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

Personally, I would say we have a lot more to worry about than accidentally eating something with butter in it, fasting is a spiritual endeavour for our healing it is not about a legalistic worrying whether something contains dairy. Personally I would say don't worry about it continue to fast, mention it in confession if you feel you must. :~)

In Christ.

Daniel,

#4 Niko Barounis

Niko Barounis

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

Thats it, you are done....ex-comunicated....no longer orthodox. :)  jst kidding. repent and continue on as before it happened. dont let a error make you stop the fast.

#5 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:02 PM

Dont worry no one will firebomb your house. Remember you fast because you want to not because you have to.

#6 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:30 PM

If we keep the fast without penitent prayer, and ascribe our abstinence from food to our own merits instead of to the action of God’s grace, it will threaten to stir up in the soul not humility, but pride and high-mindedness, leading not to condemnation of ourselves—and we all have much that deserves condemnation—but of our neighbors, whose inner life is a mystery to us and whose deeds we often judge wrongly and unfairly. One of the stichera of the Lenten Triodion warns us against this danger: “O my soul, if you fast from foods but are not cleansed of the passions, in vain do you rejoice in your abstinence from food: for it will not be unto your salvation, and as one false you will be loathsome to God, and make yourself like the evil demons who eat nothing.” The faster who has not cleansed himself of the passion, who is prideful, high-minded, and judgmental of his neighbor is like the evil demons, who never eat food. 

From pravolsavie.ru

We should not be as the Pharisees.

Edited by Reader Andreas, 04 April 2015 - 06:32 PM.

#7 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:44 AM

We should not be as the Pharisees.

Perfect.

#8 Kostandin

Kostandin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:33 AM

Thanks for your replies. May God deliver us from our passions. I wish a Blessed Holy Week to you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users