Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:57 AM

So I have two questions regarding St. Elijah in iconography:

- question one: can you identify the possible origins of this icon (where and when it might be from, what school etc) and decipher inscriptions in the left (I kinda managed to do for the ones in the right)?

http://oi60.tinypic.com/20kadmd.jpg]

http://oi61.tinypic.com/2akb9km.jpg

- question two: are you aware about any online available resources, texts, works, articles about the iconography of him, cult among people, similarities to the worship of Perun etc. in English or Russian?

tia

Edited by Michał, 06 April 2015 - 09:59 AM.

#2 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:18 AM

If you mean the origins of the scene of the "Fiery Ascension" of Elijah then that originates within Russian Orthodox (Not from Byzantium) from the Northern School (Novgorod & Pskov). 

The specific example you site seems to be a style highly popular in 18th-19th century in Russia. There was a school of icon painting called the Nevyansk School originating in the 17th century which maybe the origins of the icon with the many details. 'There is an old believer centric' article on the Prophet Elias and the fiery ascension which touches upon how popular the icon is with old believers as they were known for producing cast metal icons requiring fire to make,  and how fire was also assocated with the last judgement (which many old believers thought was imminent). The Nevyask region was in area with a high concentration of old believers. 

One example:

Russian Icon: FIERY ASCENSION OF ELIJAH THE PROPHET, WITH LIFE SCENES - VLADIMIR'S ANTIQUES

Edited by Kosta, 07 April 2015 - 06:21 AM.

#3 Michał

Michał

Conversationalist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:48 PM

Thank. That wa informative.

I would alo welcome omething on ymbolim of hi coat.

Edited by Michał, 07 April 2015 - 04:53 PM.

#4 Carolyn C.

Carolyn C.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:07 AM

Dear Michal,

This is in reply to your inquiry about the symbolism of Elijah's cloak. 

II Kings 2:7-15, "...and they two stood by Jordan.  And Elijah took his mantle [cloak], and wrapped it together, and smote the waters, and they were divided hither and thither, so that they two went over on dry ground.  And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee.  And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me.  And he [Elijah] said, Thou hast asked a hard thing:  nevertheless, if thou see me when I am taken from thee, it shall be so unto thee; but if not, it shall not be so.  And it came to pass, as they still went on, and talked, that, behold, there appeared a chariot of fire, and parted them both asunder; and Elijah went up by a whirlwind into heaven.  And Elisha saw it, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel, and the horsemen thereof.  And he saw him no more; and he took hold of his own clothes, and rent them in two pieces.  He took up also the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and went back and stood by the bank of Jordon; And he took the mantle of Elijah that fell from him, and smote the waters, and said, Where is the Lord God of Elijah?  and when he also had smitten the waters, they parted hither and thither:  and Elisha went over.  And when the sons of the prophets which were to view at Jericho saw him, they said, The spirit of Elijah doth rest on Elisha."

This is the reason for the two scenes of the cloak that are shown on the icon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users