#1 Geoffrey McKinney

Geoffrey McKinney

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:24 PM

In recent years some of the people in my OCA parish have began loudly repeating the words "It was embittered" every time the priest says those words while reading St. John Chrysostom's Paschal homily. I have read that some other parishes do this as well.

What is the historical origin of this practice of the congregation repeating the words "It was embittered"?

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

Never heard this done anywhere.

#3 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

in our parish we do that and we respond tot he proclamation of the risen Christ in the sermon.  I do not know why our reader leads us in this, I will see if I can get an answer form my priest before he gets to mont Athos for a brake.

Phoebe

#4 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 05:56 PM

In Greece we do the same as Phoebe described.

#5 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 09:45 PM

Same here in the greek parishes of America.

#6 Jim McQuiggin

Jim McQuiggin

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:27 PM

We do it in my parish. For me, this year I was truly caught up in the connection with the Vesperal Divine Liturgy celebrated on Holy Saturday. It was an opportunity to respond personally and enthusiastically to the defeat of death. We need not fear death and we are free to rejoice in the Resurrection of our Lord!

#7 Geoffrey McKinney

Geoffrey McKinney

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:25 AM

It sounds like this is not uncommon today. Do we have any references to this practice in pre-modern times? Did (for example) the flock of St. Mark of Ephesus engage in this practice?

#8 Loucas

Loucas

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

I am also in the Greek Orthodox Church, here in the USA, we have always responded that way, and the Greeks in the Church who are immagrants even more so. What a beautiful thing, to be apart and profess your faith with those who believe as you do. We always , and did so this year again, end the Great Liturgy by replying and responding, Christ is Risen , Truely he is Risen, in several languages as we have Greek, English, French, Romanian, Russian, Serbian...I am always so filled with light, hope and joy. And I am not positive, but, I believe the faithful at St John Chrisostum's sermon did as well.

Edited by Loucas, 15 April 2015 - 05:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users