6 replies to this topic

#1 madalina

madalina

• Members
  • 0 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 15 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

Dear all,

I think Saint Xenia is a very powerful saint, I read about her life and the miracles she performed and I am praying for her intercession. I read about people who were helped after having served a panikhida at her grave. I would like to talk to someone living in Sankt Petersburg that could help me get in touch with a priest from Smolensk cemetery. I would like to pay for a panikhida at the grave of Saint Xenia, but I don't know the cyrillic alphabet and I couldn't find any contact info on the internet. 

Please tell me if there is a website of the cemetery or a bank account I could sent money to. 

God bless you!

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:25 PM

A pannykhida (memorial service for the dead) is not served for a person who has been recognized as a saint.  We no longer pray for the saint, but rather we ask the saint to pray for us.  I would suggest that if you wish the to ask St Xenia for her help and intercession that you have your priest say a molieben before her icon.  Or if you are so inclined, go to Petersburg and have a molieben said there, before her relics, on your behalf. 

Fr David Moser

#3 madalina

madalina

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:02 PM

A pannykhida (memorial service for the dead) is not served for a person who has been recognized as a saint.  We no longer pray for the saint, but rather we ask the saint to pray for us.  I would suggest that if you wish the to ask St Xenia for her help and intercession that you have your priest say a molieben before her icon.  Or if you are so inclined, go to Petersburg and have a molieben said there, before her relics, on your behalf. 

Fr David Moser

I am sorry but this is not the solution I am looking for. I know what panikida is, but this is what she asked from people that needed  her help. I don't have the financial means to go there. That's why I asked for a local's help.

On her grave it is written : "Whoever has known me, may he remember' my soul for the salvation of his own soul." 

She was a special saint, a fool-for-Christ and she demanded panikhida from people. I have read the life of Saint Xenia and this is what she asked from people. I have read a book with her miracles and some of them are available at www.pravoslavie.ru/english/44559.htm

"A civil servant, Nicholas Selivanovich Golovin, had lived in Grodno approximately until 1907. He often experienced unpleasantness at work. He came to Petersburg to put his affairs in order, but they became even more entangled. Golovin was very poor, caring for his elderly mother and two sisters. In despair, he walked along the streets of Petersburg, and, though he was a man of faith, the thought to throw himself into the Neva stole into his soul. At this moment, some unknown woman stood in front of him. He was struck by her appearance, which was reminiscent of a poor nun. "Why are you so sad?" she asked. "Go to the Smolensk Cemetery, serve a panikhida [a requiem service] for Xenia, and everything will be settled." After these words, the unknown woman disappeared. Golovin fulfilled the advice of the mysterious nun, and his affairs were unexpectedly settled in the best manner possible. He joyfully returned home to Grodno."

"A colonel's widow arrived in Petersburg to enroll her two sons into the Cadet Corps. She did not succeed in this. The money borrowed for the trip had come to an end, and the widow walked along the street and wept bitterly. Suddenly, some woman of the common people came up to her and said: "Serve a panikhida for Xenia. She helps in sorrows." "Who is this Xenia?" asked the colonel's widow. "The tongue [that asks the way] will lead to Kiev," she answered, quickly vanishing.

Indeed, the colonel's widow easily learned who this Xenia was. She served a panikhida for her at her grave in the Smolensk Cemetery, and shortly after received the unexpected news that both her sons had been accepted into the Cadet Corps."

#4 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

I would add that things do not work in Russia as they do in the west - there is no point in looking for a web site and bank account details. If it is yourself for whom you want St Xenia's help, please confirm this and I will pass your name on to my wife who is in Russia just now and who can try to find a phone number to ring to have your name mentioned by the duty priest at the chapel in Smolenskoye cemetery. But the saints are not limited by space, and you should do as Fr David recommends, short of going all the way to St Petersburg - better to donate the travel cost to the poor in the name of St Xenia.

#5 madalina

madalina

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:05 PM

I would add that things do not work in Russia as they do in the west - there is no point in looking for a web site and bank account details. If it is yourself for whom you want St Xenia's help, please confirm this and I will pass your name on to my wife who is in Russia just now and who can try to find a phone number to ring to have your name mentioned by the duty priest at the chapel in Smolenskoye cemetery. But the saints are not limited by space, and you should do as Fr David recommends, short of going all the way to St Petersburg - better to donate the travel cost to the poor in the name of St Xenia.

Yes, it is for me. Thank you very much for your help. I was advised to pray to her. Her life and the way she helped people impressed me. Helping the poor in the name of Saint Xenia is a very good idea. I'd like to send money to the chapel. I don't know how they do it there, but I read the saint asked people who needed her help to serve a panikhida. And it was written on her grave that "Whoever has known me, may he remember' my soul for the salvation of his own soul."

#6 Alice

Alice

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 10:38 PM

Dear Madalina,

I too love Saint Xenia. She is indeed a most powerful and awesome saint and inspirational one too. 

I will send you a private message with the name and email of the Priest at the Smolensk Cemetery. You can communicate with him by writing your prayer request into Google translate.

I also know that Saint Xenia wanted prayers said for the soul of her beloved husband, Andrei. You may want to remember his soul at church with the upcoming All Soul's Saturday or any other Liturgy where you give a list of deceased to be commemorated.

I don't think that I would ask the priest to say a Panakhida or send him money. She is now a saint and does not need it.

You can, however, have a prayer said at her graveside if the good Priest will agree. (He has answered me in the past, so there is no reason to think not).

You can also have a moleben said to St. Xenia on your behalf. I will send you a monastery in the U.S. that will do this for you.

In the meantime, her akathist has been printed somewhere on this website. Pray it also in your private prayers. She will most definitely answer your prayer (especially for employment and/or spouse).

I hope this helps, dear Madalina. May her intercessions on your behalf be heard by God. 

In Christ,

Alice

#7 madalina

madalina

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 07:31 AM

Dear all,

Thank you for your answers and for your help. I have found Saint Xenia's Chapel website, it's stxenia.spb.ru and the contact info:

http://stxenia.spb.ru/rekvizit.htm#

http://stxenia.spb.ru/vrem9.htm#

It's in Russian and it contains the bank account where people can send money.

I posted it in case someone else is also looking for the same information.

God bless you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users