2 replies to this topic

#1 Rahul-IN

Rahul-IN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Guest from Another Religious Tradition

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:52 AM

I started a thread once about sexuality as relates to Christ's nature but that turned out controversial. But this is going to be a different question, that I hope will help me understand a few things about man..

First, I will list/paraphrase two sayings I rememeber, I don't know the exact words, but I think they are probably ones I remember from reading about desert fathers and monastic life.

- Once there was a monk, who claimed to have rid himself of all passion. So he went to his elder and claimed such and such a thing. One of the things the elder asked him in reply was... "If you see a woman, can you no longer recognize that she is a woman." to which he was dumbstruck so to speak and then the elder went on to say, "then you have merely imprisoned your passions, not gotten rid of them."

- A monk was going by the road and when he saw a group of female monks apprioaching, he turned to the wayside. One of the abbeses or a monk then shouted to him, "If you were a real monk, you would not even have noticed that we were women."

I wanted to know, is it possible to be dissected of all sexuality and appreciation of physical beauty? And if so, can man take part in this dissection or can only God rip us apart of sexuality (as like only he can make us grow and sprout hair, for instance)?

#2 Kusanagi

Kusanagi

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

With God's help it is possible, since you read those stories from the lives of the desert fathers. Other stories do include that some have reached the point when they do not notice that the other person is a woman.

I think something is mentioned in the life of St Sava the Sanctified or St Euthymius the Great.

#3 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:59 PM

Certainly the possibility to be dissected of all sexuality exists outside Christianity.

But, in Christianity this possibility is of another kind. It is written (Genesis 3: 7): "Then their eyes were opened, and they both realized that they were naked. They sewed fig leaves together and made clothes for themselves." The original state of man was the nudity, but in a status that cause no sexual scandal. Holy Spirit provides Christians a special gift where the presence of a person from the opposite gender is functioning in the same manner as it was initially in Edem. It is important to understand that the man who gets this gift maintains its masculinity. Similarly a woman who acquires this gift retains her femininity. Some Fathers characterize this gift as "return to childhood innocence".

This situation is not the same as the ability to be dissected of all sexuality without the Holy Spirit. Apathy to the opposite sex (like any kind of unresponsiveness to passions when is achieved without the Holy Spirit) can only have two causes: physical castration or demonic castration. This kind of sexual unresponsiveness to a person from opposite sex is always accompanied by an inability to connect with real love with that person. Most of the times this sexuall unresponsiveness is the result of deep self isolation. An isolation that develops in such a degree that cuts off any external stimulations. This status is demonic.

In contrast, the blessed Christian unresponsiveness to sexuality is not based on repulse of temptation, but on alteration of  the sensors of the man's soul in perceiving the natural temptation according to the unpretentiously way that a child's soul does.

Last point: this gift of apathy, from Holy Spirit, is not for all Christians. Only some are blessed in this way from God, according to God's Will and according to man's intention and receptiveness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users