Michael T.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:07 AM

Marie
I give to you to kiss of peace
You know it's funny, what we need is to love one another. What we need is to support one another, this is our power and our strength and we are so used to wallowing in the "yeah buts"
The LORD is my strength and my salvation whom then shall I fear.
And how do we do this but to love, to love one another!

#22 Michael T.

Michael T.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

Each of you Fr Moser, Lakis Andreas, Herman, Rick
I ask for your blessing I great you with the kiss of peace
I ask you this, is not the most mystical act a Christian can do is love?

It is odd when I have tried this I've learned women may mistake your legitimate care for being "hit-on" men initially seem to wonder what you are after(as if you have an ulterior motive. The people few people even acknowledge, the janitors, people busing tables the people with little or no power in our society when you greet them And treat them as equals are the most receptive.

So, how can we express and love those around us. The question is once one decides to practice love how does he do it in our society in a way that it will be understood?

#23 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 29 August 2015 - 04:41 PM

So, how can we express and love those around us. The question is once one decides to practice love how does he do it in our society in a way that it will be understood?

Greetings Micheal T,

What is the meaning of the phrase ""in a way that it will be understood" ? Logically, Spiritually, Socially, Emotionally ?

#24 Michael T.

Michael T.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:03 PM

One can start to feel love for others, but Love has a way demanding that it gets expressed. So the question is what is the appropriate way to do so. How does one express love in a way that has it accepted, legitimized, appropriate. That does so in the context of a complex world, not used to it nor prepared, in a western pluralistic secular society.

#25 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:57 PM

Love is simple if one follows st Paul's rules (1 Corinthians 13).

I think there is no problem in performing this kind of love under any conditions or any social context.

And others are free to reject our love, the major rule is to respect the freedom of others.

#26 Anna Stickles

Anna Stickles

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 01:48 AM

One can start to feel love for others, but Love has a way demanding that it gets expressed. So the question is what is the appropriate way to do so. How does one express love in a way that has it accepted, legitimized, appropriate. That does so in the context of a complex world, not used to it nor prepared, in a western pluralistic secular society.

Maybe "lived" is a better word then "expressed" here.  Christ's primary command to love is also in the context of "Deny yourself...take up your cross..."  Purified love is discerning and truly sensitive to the other - to what they may or may not be able to receive and is willing to adjust to this. I never heard that love is demanding. 

#27 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:36 PM

Michael T., on 29 Aug 2015 - 19:07, said:snapback.png

Maybe "lived" is a better word then "expressed" here.  Christ's primary command to love is also in the context of "Deny yourself...take up your cross..."  Purified love is discerning and truly sensitive to the other - to what they may or may not be able to receive and is willing to adjust to this. I never heard that love is demanding. 

Anna,

Since you are looking at words in response to Michael T., perhaps the word " to accept"  or " acceptance of"  the other who is encountered whether a person busing tables, a janitor, a child, a man, a woman, anonymous on this FORUM etc.   entering into the situation or scene and also with sensitivity approaching, adjusting to the other, the place, the situation, and denying myself, as Jesus says, "taking up my cross...  this daily dying to self"  There is a forgetfulness of self that enters into as you call " purified love".  Is LOVE fully ever fully purified?  Perhaps this "un-purified LOVE" this " selfish LOVE"  is what brings into the communication misunderstanding and hurt and suffering.  LOVE cannot be imposed upon the other, but freely given and also received if offered,  no strings attached!  And, this is the it seems to me the " lived LOVE" that you mention in contrast to " expressed LOVE"!   

•  

#28 Anna Stickles

Anna Stickles

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:24 PM

I tend to be wary of wordings like "acceptance".   In our culture this often means accepting fallen behaviors as if they are natural.  I don't think we should accept fallen behaviors, but at the same time, we can as you say be sensitive so as not to agitate the other.  

#29 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:47 PM

I tend to be wary of wordings like "acceptance".   In our culture this often means accepting fallen behaviors as if they are natural.  I don't think we should accept fallen behaviors, but at the same time, we can as you say be sensitive so as not to agitate the other.  

Thank you for your response, Anna.  

True the word " acceptance"  is so often used in today's world.  It has become almost a "by-word"  for expressing the Word "LOVE".  No one wants to be rejected, for being ugly, handicapped, limited in speech or action,  not understood because of the gaps in Culture, Customs, Language, and word-meaning, or for being male or female.  So, being " sensitive"  to the other as to not agitate him/her, is of the utmost importance.  All this is so true!  But, at times, one's words or actions or intent is pure and loving, yet the other mis-understands one's meaning.  In a written Forum, there can be a typographical error.  Editing is not always working properly. Correction and/or clarification is not always possible.

There can be so many situations where,  misunderstanding enters into communication with others.!  Discernment is a difficult quality/virtue to come by especially if a person is impulsive, or in a hurt or suffering state of mind, or is simply attempting to be or become part of a group, or to expand his/her understanding of some topic, behavior, situation, etc.  

The word " LOVE"  is understood at many different levels, by different people, especially on FORUMS like this.  May the Holy Spirit be with us, and Christ Jesus have mercy upon us all, in our many limitations. I'm always learning!  and hopefully, repenting of my inattention!

Edited by Marie+Duquette, 01 September 2015 - 05:53 PM.

#30 Rick H.

Rick H.

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:31 PM

"The word " LOVE"  is understood at many different levels, by different people, especially on FORUMS like this.  May the Holy Spirit be with us, and Christ Jesus have mercy upon us all, in our many limitations."

Very well put Marie!

#31 Lisa Krauter

Lisa Krauter

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 02:10 PM

Michael,

In getting back to your original post on "how to move away from sin", I thought I would pass along something that has helped me. You might want to check out a series of 3 pocasts from a retreat by Fr. Evan Armatas called "Transforming our Lives in Christ" which can be found at the church website of St. Spyridon in, I think, Loveland, CO. Anyway, in it he describes identifying the passion(s) and then making real changes in our lives to help keep us from falling and lear to practive the opposite of the passion -- as an example, if you struggle with lust, don't wear your glasses in public except to drive. It's simplistic but not easy.

#32 Michael T.

Michael T.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:46 AM

Love is demanding and painful and wonderful all at the same time. The demands are taking up one's cross, the demands are giving all to the other. Love is scary; giving all, leaping into free fall.
Marie, you do express yourself eloquently.
In all this discussion, the struggle, to let go and allow the wind of the Spirit to take me. The wind is love and it is so risky to be blown about freely.
But...love is discret and respectful,
Mercy is the gentle kindness of love. Yet, mercy can be holding someone down as his broken leg is set. Love can be fussing at a patient about compliance with his medication when his non-compliance means certain mortal risk. To love a homeless man is to feel his pains but it is unnessesary that your care should cause you pain but love makes it nessesary. Love demands that you respond to the suffering of others. What is amazing are those people who find a way in this world, to make love a functional driving force to transform their very self.

#33 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:32 PM

Love is demanding and painful and wonderful all at the same time. The demands are taking up one's cross, the demands are giving all to the other. Love is scary; giving all, leaping into free fall.

Some Christians feel exactly like that. But we should not think that this is what Love is all about.

#34 Michael T.

Michael T.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 01:25 AM

OK, Lakis, I'll bite
That last post was obviously a "lead in," "a begged question".
So finish your post

#35 Michael T.

Michael T.

Junior Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

that last post may not have sounded as frendly as I would have had it.

#36 Loucas

Loucas

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:37 PM

Perfect point about the Spiritual Father, or for that matter at least council from a priest. We read all the Father's, Mother's quotes and the Scripture, then becomes the task, which many feel they are taking on this by and of themselves. Remember, everything about the Church is community. We struggle as, the body, not as a specific part of the body. I too remember my sins, however, I have tried to learn to reject memories of past sins which I have confessed, as I believe God, remits, confessed sins. Or not simply forgives and God sees them again and again, but he remembers he forgave them. He has wiped them away and they no longer exist, and that gives one strength and courage to move forward trying, with God's help, to be the " new man". The how, if approached as, " I will change my life" is approached incorrectly, we all sin and all grow Spiritually with the help of the Saints, Theotokis, and Lord himself. I know this sounds like, "WELL FOR SURE, BUT IT'S NOT THAT EASY" I don't mean to sound as if it is, it's not for me anyway. I only point out our faith and the way. My Priest knows me, sees me, talks with me, confesses me, so has a very special view point in guiding me and addressing my Spiritual Struggle. So I am not walking this path alone. I hope this Lenten season will be a time for all of us to look deeply at ourselves and seek Salvation for each and every one of us. The Lord said these things can only be gained through prayer and fasting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sin, repentance, metanoia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users