#1 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 27 August 2015 - 04:37 AM

I have heard that the 10th rank of Angels will be monastics.

However, someone told me it will be monastics and us.

Would anyone know which one it is and which spiritual father has said this?

Thanks

Edited by Angie, 27 August 2015 - 04:38 AM.

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:56 PM

If this was said by some particular saint I would have to think that it was taken wildly out of context.  The fathers are quite clear that we are not angels and that we do not become angels. We are a separate and different creation - we are higher than the angels according to scripture.  While the angels are "bodiless" we have bodies and those bodies will be with us in eternity (hence the resurrection).  If this was indeed the comment of some Orthodox saint or spiritual elder, my impression would be that it is said in some kind of metaphor, rather than a statement of how things will actually be.

Fr David Moser

#3 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:29 PM

Whilst seconding what Father David says, I cannot see how we can speculate about something that may have been said by someone unknown to us.

Edited by Reader Andreas, 27 August 2015 - 06:29 PM.

#4 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

Eustathios Bishop of Thessalonica. https://en.m.wikiped...of_Thessalonica in his works tegarding monastics adopted the tradition that monks will replace the 10nth fallen angelic rank..

#5 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 11:58 AM

Monks replacing the fallen angels should not be thought as a change of their human nature to that of the nature of the bodiless spirits. Monasticm is called the angelic life because it imitates aspects of angels.

Monks do not marry but are like the angels of heaven, as Christ taught of angels (matt 22.30) As the angels offer much prayer before the throne of God, likewise the monk is to pray without ceasing and continually praise God like the cherubs. Ascetics and monastics emphasize the spiritual neccesity over the material, attempt to tame the passions of the flesh so they cannot be accused like the disciples when the Lord said, 'the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Their aim is to be closest to God like seraphim etc.

St John of the Ladder refered to ascetics and monastics as angels and explains his usage in the ladder of divine ascent. While he doesnt make the leap that monks replace the fallen angels, he builds upon the fact that the difference between angels and the demons is one of obedience. The angels obey God while the demons disobeyed, likewise a hallmark of the monastic life is that of obedience.

It would be because of these attributes that one will make the connection with ranking monks with angels

Edited by Kosta, 28 August 2015 - 12:01 PM.

#6 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:37 PM

Leaping from the Thread:  "MOVING away from sin"  to this one " Ranks of Angels" or monastics.

A leap of FAITH!  or A crossing a bridge between SIN  and  RANKS of Angels.  Two threads that caught my attention this morning!

Thank you Kosta for your post # 5.  OBEDIENCE,  the hallmark of the monastic life, of the Angelic life!  getting closer to God,

or allowing God to come closer to me in my daily life's struggle:  OBEDIENCE burns and transforms the dross into gold,  into THEOSIS!

“How wonderful that we have met with a paradox. Now we have some hope of making progress.”

Edited by Marie+Duquette, 28 August 2015 - 12:40 PM.

#7 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:08 PM

'Monks do not marry': but many monastics were married and had children before entering into monasticism.

#8 Marie+Duquette

Marie+Duquette

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 02:38 PM

Monks do not marry but are like the angels of heaven, as Christ taught of angels (matt 22.30) As the angels offer much prayer before the throne of God, likewise the monk is to pray without ceasing and continually praise God like the cherubs. Ascetics and monastics emphasize the spiritual neccesity over the material, attempt to tame the passions of the flesh so they cannot be accused like the disciples when the Lord said, 'the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak. Their aim is to be closest to God like seraphim etc.

True, Andreas, what you say in post #7 "some monastic have  been married and have children"     But, I find that what was said by Kostas is more complete as to what comprises a " monastic life."  Especially, if one is to understand what the word monastic means:  " one alone with the Alone!"  Being previously married is not an obstacle to Monastic Life,  but the struggle is definitely alive, there, day by day, to truly and fully live this life style.  That is, as Kosta depicts it in his post #6  aim being:  " to be closest to God like the seraphim!"  !  And, this implies all the steps to arrive at destination of THEOSIS.

Edited by Marie+Duquette, 28 August 2015 - 02:40 PM.

#9 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:10 PM

Here is an interesting article about angels:  http://orthodoxinfo....th/angels2.aspx

#10 Antonios

Antonios

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 05:42 AM

I have heard that the 10th rank of Angels will be monastics.

However, someone told me it will be monastics and us.

Would anyone know which one it is and which spiritual father has said this?

Thanks

Great answers above!

I have read before that monastics are as Angels, according to their kindred spirit, humility, obedience, and servitude. Not, however, that they become Angels. They remain always ontologically distinct, according to their nature.

But how cool if God replaced that rank of angels who fell from the heavens, and gave it to men who were more like Angels than them, monastics who lived in angelic hope, virtue and obedience. Perhaps the faith and service of the monastics play an important role in God's plans for man's salvation, and perhaps they will stand next to the Angels in the Kingdom of Heaven.

While these monastic 'angels' share ultimately in the same glory and worship of God together with all the heavenly Angels, their respective ontological being and personhood remain distinct. And this distinction is one which makes no judgement on glory or love, but rather points to the glory and love of the Father in Heaven, and the grace and communion of the Holy Trinity.

#11 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:37 PM

We should not generalise; some married people living in the world may attain to blessedness and some monastics not.

#12 Hen

Hen

Junior Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

23 In the resurrection, when they rise, of which of them shall she be the wife? For the seven had her as a wife.

24 Jesus said to them: Do you not therefore err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God?

25 For when they rise from the dead, they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are as angels in the heavens.

26 But concerning the dead, that they do rise. Have you not read in the book of Moses, at the Bush, how God spoke to him, saying: I am the God of Abraham and the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob?

27 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You greatly err.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users