#1 Warren Bensinger

Warren Bensinger

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:33 PM

Could anyone tell me why there are different scriptures selected for the services, depending on the jurisdiction?

I don't know if it happens all the time but yesterday was the feast of the Seventh Ecumenical Council and at our Antiochian Church we read ST. Luke 8:5-15 and St. Titus 3:8-15. I looked up the local Greek Church and they used the same.  At the Russian Church that my son goes to they read St. Luke 7:11-16 and looking up the OCA, they did the same.  We were talking about it and thought that everyone read the same in all the Orthodox Churches.  So I thought I'd come and ask you guys and find out what the story is.

Thanks for your help.

#2 Dcn Alexander Haig

Dcn Alexander Haig

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:23 PM

During the Year the Sunday Gospels are given in sequence (John, Matthew, Luke, Mark).  This sequence starts at Pascha with St John's Gospel, which is why the appointed Gospel at the Paschal Liturgy is from his Prologue.  After Pentecost, we begin reading from St Matthew's Gospel.  At this point, (nearly) all Orthodox are in agreement about what the Sunday reading will be.

There can be exceptions to this, when a major feast falls on a Sunday.  This will cause a difference between Old and New Calendars but the following Sunday they will be back on track together.

The problem arises with Holy Cross (14th September).  The typikon says that St Luke's Gospel should take over from St Matthew's after the Sunday after Holy Cross.  Because this will occur on different dates in the two calendars, this makes a divergence in the readings.  So, this coming Sunday (18th / 5th October) will be, on the New Calendar the 4th Sunday of Luke while on the Old Calendar it will be the 2nd Sunday.

I hope this has helped rather than confused.

In Xp

Dcn Alexander

#3 Warren Bensinger

Warren Bensinger

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 05:06 PM

Deacon Bless.

Thank you for your information.  That helps me to understand the reading through-out the year.

With that info I went back to the Church Calendars and looked at Sunday a week ago and next Sunday and saw that the readings were back in alignment.

I still don't understand why 4 Churches that are "new calendar" would read 2 different readings???

Could you help me with that one?

Thanks again.

#4 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 07:20 PM

On certain Sundays there are options for two different sets of readings as feasts which are fixed to the Sunday closet to a given date such as the one last Sunday for the fathers of the seventh ecumenical counsel happen, this can also happen with the celebration of some of the more important saints.  In these situations the priest of each parish has the chose as to which set of readings to use, in some cases a bishop will indicate which he would prefer is used and there is a custom in may diocese as to which is used but these vary so it is possible to have two churches close to each other who use different readings.

#5 Warren Bensinger

Warren Bensinger

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:47 PM

Thanks for the help.  I knew I'd get the answer here.

#6 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 05:16 AM

And then there is the calendar differences.

#7 Moses Anthony

Moses Anthony

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 11:04 PM

One of those things which often confuses me in trying to follow the Monastic Diurnal -Lancelot Andrews Press- is keeping track of the various types of feasts. There are Doubles of I, and II Class, Octaves, and Memorials. Sometimes these fall on the same dates as Major Feasts of the Church -Presentation of Christ in the Temple, Pascha, etc....

As my priest keeps telling me, when that happens, the major feast of the Church takes precedence. In regards to your post, that means the Scripture readings will differ. And in particular, in regards to the calendar followed, the particular saint venerated (which varies from jurisdiction), and lastly, the Rite each jurisdiction follows. When a Metropolitan decides to emphasize a certain direction for his jurisdiction, that too can cause a difference in the readings listed for each day. The "rubrics" however are the main deciding factor in all of this, and they are very slow to change.

Edited by Olga, 22 October 2015 - 09:51 PM.
corrected font size and added paragraph space for ease of reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users