#1 Warren Bensinger

Warren Bensinger

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:30 PM

I want to place an Icon of the Feast that is being celebrated in my prayer corner.  Could anyone tell me how long we keep the Icons for the feasts out?  Is it the same amount of time for each Feast or are they different?  Then How long before the next Feast do we put that Icon out?

Thanks for the help.

#2 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:11 PM

A liturgical calendar will state whether the feast is only for that day (which includes the evening prior), or whether it extends for longer. Major feasts have an afterfeast period, usually lasting a week, and ending with the leave-taking of the feast (otdaniye, apodosis). For such feasts, the festal icon is on display throughout the afterfeast period.

Liturgically, the troparion and kontakion for the feast continue to be sung during the afterfeast period.

#3 Warren Bensinger

Warren Bensinger

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:27 AM

Thank you Olga.  So for this Feast of the Presentation of the Theotokos I should leave the Icon up for a week or until next Friday at Vespers.  Right?

#4 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 03:18 AM

The leave-taking for this feast, according to the new calendar, will fall on next Wednesday. So the icon can remain until next Wednesday evening. For those whose church follows the Julian calendar, the feast itself will fall on a Friday, and the leave-taking will be on the following Tuesday.

#5 Anna Stickles

Anna Stickles

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:42 PM

http://www.goarch.org/chapel/calendar

This has the saints and feasts (including their leavetaking (apodosis) and is set up in an easy to see format for the whole month.

The OCA site also notes the period of the afterfeast under the lives of the saints link so the last few days the afterfeast of the Entry has been noted, and the leavetaking is tomorrow.  The number of days varies by feast, you pretty much have to look it up on a liturgical calendar.

#6 Jean-Serge

Jean-Serge

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:10 PM

In fact, the day of the leavetaking of the Feast, the leavetaking is celebrated with the liturgy of this day. This means that at the 9th hour, the troparion and kondakion of the feast will not be used. Consequently, it is preferable to remove the icon at midday (because a liturgy should finish before midday), if possible of course (supposing that you are at home).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users