3 replies to this topic

#1 David Hawthorne

David Hawthorne

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:55 AM

I have run into a few references to Gennadios Scholarios being an Orthodox saint lately but I also have a few friends disputing that he is one.

He is not listed as a saint on the EP website but he is on the Church of Greece website. Which one friend says is probably a typo because Greece could not canonize him apart from the EP.

But another friend says Gennadios' relics are at the monastery in Seres, Greece where the Patriarch retired, died, and was buried in the catholicon and that he is commemorated there Aug. 25th.

Here is the Church of Greece site with his name on the synaxarion:

http://www.ecclesia....?minas=8&id=357

Does anyone have firm information on whether he is indeed a saint or not?

#2 Michael C.

Michael C.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:43 PM

Several websites in Greece say "Yes".

Go to google.gr and search "Αγιος Γενναδιος Σχολαριος" in quotes so that it picks up the Agios (St.)

#3 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:39 AM

I believe he is a local saint in the Church of Greece but has not been officially proclaimed by the EP.

Edited by Kosta, 09 January 2016 - 04:40 AM.

#4 Kosta

Kosta

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 04:30 PM

According to George Dragas he was canonized by the EP.  Its written in his book Ecclesiasticus II: Orthodox icons, Saints, Feasts and Prayers (pg 97):

Ecclesiasticus II: Orthodox Icons, Saints, Feasts and Prayer - George Dion Dragas - Google Books

The GOARCH website places his feast day on Aug 31 (OCA website lists Patriarch Genadius of the 5th century not Scholarius)

Online Chapel — Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

According to Mystagogy blog his feast day is August 25 (ironically the article was posted on Aug 31, 2009):

MYSTAGOGY: Historical Comparisons and Fulfilled Prophecies According to Gennadios Scholarios

According to some comments as of 2012 a visitor to the Serres Monastery of the ForeRunner where his relics are preserved. St Gennadios of Scholarius  had not been canonized according to the nuns. I call him saint since it does seem Gennadios is a prime example of a saint through popular proclamation of the people even having his relics preserved and venerated. I found other websites (besides the GOARCH) listing it as Aug 31. There is St. Gennadios of Vatopaidi whose feast day is Nov 17 and the church of Greece lists Gennadius I on the same day as well. But confusion on which of two other Gennadius' feast day is August 31. I believe it is the Church of Greece Synaxariston which has it on Aug 25. 

Edited by Kosta, 09 January 2016 - 04:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users