Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:46 AM

Hello

I belong to a small parish.  We recently formed a committee to try to come up with a written manual for Catechumens.  We are looking at the example of St. Andrew
Church where Fr. Josiah Trenham works, but we also would like to know if there are other examples of Catechumen manuals?

#2 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,821 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:41 AM

Is your priest involved in this project? I imagine he would be the one either compiling it, or closely supervising it.

#3 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:52 PM

St Cyril of Jerusliam's catichisam is a text I would suggest covers much of what needs to be covered in the way of mystical and letergical catechists.  A number of other fathers have written Chatichitcal metiral as well, St John Chysotom is always worth looking at on anything in Church life.

We must also remember that for the most part Chatichises in the Church is done by the attendance of services especially matins and vespers over a long period of time, historically 3 years which was suplimented by ethical teaching, the mysteries only being explaned to those who were nipholites after being receved (not that they can truly be understood other than by the grace of the Holy Spirit).

What I would have appreciated most as a catichumin three years ago would have been a guide through the services with explanations as to what was going on, especially in matins which can be confusing even when you know it well.

I hope my thoughts help

#4 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:54 PM

Thank you.  I will check into the writings of Saint Cyril of Jerusalem and Saint John  Chrysostom.  I know what you mean by Orthros (Matins).

#5 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

I would suggest that whilst a general catechetical manual would be a good idea - and why don't the jurisdictions in the Anglophone world collaborate to produce one? - regard needs to be had to where any individual catechumen is coming from. I mean that what may be appropriate for someone coming from Roman Catholicism may be different from what would be suitable for someone coming from a form of low Protestantism, or again for someone from no Christian background at all.

#6 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

"Manual" is a strange word, for Orthodoxy manuals were never used.

#7 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:01 AM

'Manual' means 'handbook' (OED) - there are books about Orthodoxy called a handbook. Is that term not acceptable? Isn't it like εγχειριδιο?

Edited by Rdr Andreas, 22 February 2016 - 09:02 AM.

#8 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:35 PM

There are some orthodox prayer handbooks, is this what "catechetical manual" is about? A manual of prayers? I have understood the original post asking a manual for Love.

#9 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:01 PM

I took it to mean an instructional handbook.

#10 John S.

John S.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

Do you mean something like this: Living God: A Catechism for the Christian Faith (2-volume set).

http://store.ancient...h-2-volume-set/

------------------------------------------

Product Description

The Living God is a unique catechetical work for families, inquirers, and adults who are searching for a clear, vivid presentation of the Christian faith. This introduction to the basic teachings and life of the Church brings together Scripture, theology, iconography, hymnography, feasts, and liturgy in a fully integrated manner. Originally written in French as a "catechism for the family," this English edition, with its warm, personal, holistic approach, will be welcomed by parents, catechists, teachers, pastors, and persons of any age who are looking for a simple way to explain or understand the sources of the Church's revelation. The book is characterized by its unique and creative method of organization: a "seeker" poses the questions, representing those of many believers; and the "sage" answers, articulating the Church's explanation to those questions.

The two volumes integrate the major feasts of the liturgical year with an overview of the history of salvation. Volume I contains the period from the Creation through the Resurrection of Christ. Volume II begins with the feast of Ascension continues through the book of Revelation and concludes with the Sacraments of Prayer in the life of the Church. Both volumes are illustrated with musical examples as well as color and monochrome reproductions of icons.

#11 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

The work mentioned in post #10 is widely available but (the late) Oliver Clement does have his critics. I was given 'Our Orthodox Christian Faith: a Handbook of Popular Dogmatics' by Athanasios Frangopoulos which seems sound and is still available. There are online catechisms such as those at the DECR web site of the Moscow Patriarchate and that on the site of St Tikhon's Monastery.

#12 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:31 PM

Rdr Andreas is right.  Here is an example that someone gave me when starting to figure out how to write a Catechumen manual:  http://www.saintandrew.net/catechumens.html

#13 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

I noticed the book by Metropolitan Hierotheos Vlachos - anything by him is good.

#14 Loucas

Loucas

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:11 PM

I would certainly return to Olga's question regarding the involvement of the priest. This is very serious and personal process, studying a manual does not help the priest to do what has been done since the Church began. One on one conversation with the priest who can discern from the talk as to the direction needed. I love to read as well, and am competent in understanding what I read, however deep Spiritual matters like this one is something that needs the priest. From the several video and audio presentations I have seen and heard from Fr. Josiah Trenham, I am sure he would want to have this be a personal process as well. I am not speaking for him, just taking a guess.

#15 Ben Johnson

Ben Johnson

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:38 AM

It seems like when I bring up this subject, most people assume that we are excluding the priest.  The answer to that is NO.  We had a parish meeting, with our priest, and he allowed us to divide up into committees to research and come up with plans for certain topics.  I happen to be with the committee that needs to come up with a Catechuen manual.  Our priest knows who volunteered to be on the committee.  He knows who the chair is (me), and I keep him informed of everything we are thinking.  I have also sought his advice at times.  We are going to have our first meeting this weekend, and our priest. will be there.  We are just trying to get our Catechumen program more formalized and structured.  When we are finished, our Catechumens will be under our priest and spiritual parents just as always.

Edited by Olga, 03 March 2016 - 10:41 AM.
changed font format for ease of reading

#16 Loucas

Loucas

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:52 AM

I only responded the way I knew. At my Church, converts spend many private meetings with our Priest. He of course discusses the faith, what we believe, what does it mean to be an Orthodox Christian. Questions and answers. As we know, Orthodoxy is not something for interpretation or debate, so he must sure that one truly wants to be an Orthodox, believes the truth and intends to live the life, walk the path. Sounds to me like you have a great responsibility and are looking for input to move forward. Start with the creed talk to each other about what you have been taught. Pray for guidance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users