Photo
- - - - -

Presanctified: where were the Gifts kept?

presanctified diakonikon skeuophylakion presanctified gifts entrance

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Simko

Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

Hello friends!

Historically, were the Presanctified Gifts (meaning, those used for Presanctified Liturgies) kept in the Diakonikon/Skevophylakion, or somewhere outside the Church building until the Entrance?

#2 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:49 PM

If you read the liturgy for the presanctified the Lamb is placed on the Paten on the Holy table then vailed during the Psalter reading of vespers, the chalice is also filled at this point and both are put on the Poskimidi table, but none of the Prayers of the Proskomidi are used.  There is a special hymn in the place of the Cherubic hymn and then the entrance in silence, this from experience takes a shorter root than the Great entrance normally takes but comes out one of the deacon's doors and back into the Alter by the Holy doors, also the Laity prostrate for the entrance.

We must remember that the Presanctified Lamb is the Body of Christ so is only kept on the Holy table, whether it is that reserved to take communion to the sick or that used in the Presanctified Liturgies.  The only reason I know of for the Lamb to be taken form a Church would be to take communion to the sick or dyeing.

I hope this helps

Phoebe

#3 Peter Simko

Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:29 PM

Thank you, Phoebe.  I ask this because I heard of a Priest that serves the Presanctified Liturgy after having kept the Presanctified Gifts on the Prothesis Table instead of on the Altar, using history as his reasoning.

#4 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:48 PM

Peter,

There are two predominant practices in the Orthodox Church.  One is to keep the presanctified Gifts on the altar in a special artophorion, or lacking that on a spare paten covered with an aer.  This is what I have normally experienced in Russian/Slavic Churches.  The other practice is to keep the presanctified Gifts in a special artophorion on the table of oblation (prothesis) - I believe this is more often found in Byzantine/Greek tradition.  I would have to go back and read the rubrics more completely to see how the service varies when the Gifts are kept on the table of oblation, but if they are kept on the altar, they treated just as Phoebe describes. 

Fr David

#5 Peter Simko

Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:05 PM

Thank you, Father!  That is very interesting... I guess, in the Byzantine/Greek case you mention, that would mean there is no first censing (with kneeling/prostrations by the laity) at the movement of the Gifts from the Holy Table to the Table of Oblation before the Gifts are removed from the Artophorion and censed, as there is no movement!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: presanctified, diakonikon, skeuophylakion, presanctified gifts, entrance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users