#1 Peter Simko

Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 02 March 2016 - 04:59 PM

So, this is a "just wondering" kind of question.  It stems from an idea I had to have my students in our Church School class jointly write an epistle (of encouragement) to a class of the same grades at another local parish for Great Lent.

Historically, I believe, the Church has known epistles between hierarchs and Churches that come as encouragement, but also as censure, and they concern specific local issues, often outside the canonical jurisdiction of the author.

To give an example, would it be seen as appropriate conduct based on this precedent for a metropolitan in City A and Jurisdiction X to address an epistle to the Church at City B and in Jurisdiction Y concerning anything that could be called censure?  It seems like this would be seen as inappropriate, but if the Truth is actually spoken in love, I do not see why this would be an issue.

Since this is a hypothetical question, does anyone have an example that would prove the point in the affirmative?  Thanks!

#2 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 03 March 2016 - 02:51 PM

The "sorrowful epistles" of Metropolitan Philaret (ROCOR) of blessed memory were "open letters" addressed to the heirarchies of what he considered to be the more "modernist" Orthodox jurisdictions in NA (in the 60's or 70's ?).  Those letters were well distributed and probably exist somewhere on the internet

Fr David

#3 Peter Simko

Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 05:02 PM

Thank you, Father; I will have to do some research then!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users