Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 04 March 2016 - 09:13 PM

Friends,

Does anyone know of the relationship between these two hymns, if there is one?  Both are used during the veneration of Christ in the tomb, the first by Slavic parishes, and the second by Byzantine parishes.  Both are sung in the Plagal First, and they are eerily similar for still being unique.

Come, let us bless Joseph of eternal memory, who came by night to Pilate and begged for the Life of all: “Give me this Stranger, who has no place to lay His head. Give me this Stranger, whom an evil disciple betrayed to death. Give me this Stranger, whom His Mother saw hanging upon the cross, and with a mother's sorrow cried, weeping: ‘Woe is me, O my Child, Light of my eyes and Beloved of my bosom, for what Symeon foretold in the temple now has come to pass: a sword has pierced my heart; but change my grief to gladness by Your resurrection.’” We venerate Your Passion, O Christ. We venerate Your Passion, O Christ. We venerate Your Passion, O Christ, and Your holy Resurrection.

As the sun hid its very rays at the Savior's death, and the curtain of the temple was rent in twain, Joseph of everlasting memory approached Pilate beseeching him in this manner; Give me this stranger, who from infancy has been as a stranger, a sojourner in the world. Give me this stranger, whom His own race has hated and delivered unto death as a stranger. Give me this stranger, who in a strange manner is a stranger to death. Give me this stranger, who has received the poor as guests. Give me this stranger, whom the Jews from envy estranged from the world. Give me this stranger, that I may hide him in a tomb, for as a stranger He has no place to lay His head. Give me this stranger, whose Mother seeing His dead body cries out: "O my Son and my God, I am sorely wounded within me and my heart is rent, seeing You as one dead: but in Your Resurrection I take courage and magnify You". Thus entreating Pilate with these words, noble Joseph receives the body of the Savior: and wrapping it with fear in a linen with myrrh, he places in a tomb Him Who bestows upon all eternal life and great mercy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users