Sbdn. Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 07 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

Friends,

Blessed Cheese-week! Does anyone know if there is a service for Chrismating and naming semantrons like bells, or any other prayers for blessing them before use?  I found an Armenian service which makes me suspicious that there may be an Eastern Orthodox one somewhere... See the Armenian service on Google Books at the link below:

https://books.google...MANTRON&f=false

And here is the service for the blessing of bells for anyone interested:

http://www.russianbe...ess/bless3.html

#2 Loucas

Loucas

Contributor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

Very interesting topic. Snooped around a bit, did not find anything specific though. It is so interesting, there are prayers to bless, icons, wedding rings, crosses at baptism, houses, work places...you name it. I could only assume that a form of one of these accepted prayers would be used. I intend to check back to see if anyone has any valid information. I love the sound the the striking of the simandron and we all know it is common to all Orthodox Monasteries.

#3 Olga

Olga

• Moderators
  • 2,827 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 09:58 PM

I imagine the service in the Book of Needs for the blessing of bells would also apply to a simantron, as it has the same function as a bell. Moreover, we use the centuries-old services in it for all sorts of modern equivalents these days, such as cars. :)

#4 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 10:38 PM

Next time I sound the horn on my car, I'll do so in the rhythm of the simantron!  :D

#5 Sbdn. Peter Simko

Sbdn. Peter Simko

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 08 March 2016 - 04:25 PM

Thank you, everyone!  I will continue to investigate and let you know if I discover anything.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: semantron, talanton, chrismation, blessing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users