#1 Algernon

Algernon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 22 March 2016 - 12:03 AM

Can some please recommend a good, accurate Greek-English Interlinear Bible for study purposes?​

Thanks,

A

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:37 AM

I cannot say anything about a whole Bible but I have the New Testament interlinear ed. Jay Green and published by Baker. It has word-for-word translation under the Greek, a literal translation down the left column and the KJV down the right. The Greek text is described as 'Alexandrian'; I don't know about differing Greek texts but I suppose this may not be the same as the Greek text used by the Greek Orthodox Church. Others more knowledgeable may be more helpful.

#3 Phoebe K.

Phoebe K.

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:32 PM

I used the Robert K Brown and Philip W Comfort interlinear new testament which is set out in the same way as Reader Andrea's describes but used the New revised Standard version for the English text.  This is the one recommended by Fr Nicodomos who teaches a course in Koine Greek online.  I do not know of a septuigant set out in this way in book form, but some texts can be found online.

#4 Rdr Daniel (R.)

Rdr Daniel (R.)

Very Frequent Poster

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 03:41 PM

I cannot say anything about a whole Bible but I have the New Testament interlinear ed. Jay Green and published by Baker. It has word-for-word translation under the Greek, a literal translation down the left column and the KJV down the right. The Greek text is described as 'Alexandrian'; I don't know about differing Greek texts but I suppose this may not be the same as the Greek text used by the Greek Orthodox Church. Others more knowledgeable may be more helpful.

The 'Alexandrian text type' means in this context that reconstructed from ancient papyri and manuscripts (notably the Codex Vaticanus and Codex Sinaiticus) largely from the province of Egyptus. The main issue from an Orthodox perspective is that it is reconstructed from texts which where discarded by the Church for containing textual scribal errors, and filed away in ancient monastic libraries. The text used by the Churches of the Patriarchate of Constantinople is the Patriarchal text which, along with the text of the Church Slavonic, conforms to the 'Byzantine or Majority Text'. That is not to say it is entirely clear cut, there are cases in at least the epistles where the reconstructed from from 'Alexandrian text type' is likely closer to the original due to comments ect... finding there way into the main text ect.., in these cases there are independent sources in the form of the Latin Vulgate and Syriac peshitta. Yet as a whole the 'Byzantine text type' is better supported by the majority of sources, has support from ancient manuscripts in the Gospels (ironically including the Codex Alexandrinus), and the blessing of the Church locally in the form of usage and the council of Constantinople which established the Patriarchal Text in the 20th century. 

----------------------

In terms the original post I have had limited experience with the Apostolic Bible Polyglot it is translated from the Septuagint and a western text of the Byzantine text type close to the Textus Receptus (the basis for the King James Version), it would be worth looking into.

In Christ.

Daniel

#5 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 08:10 PM

I have the following book. It is published by non orthodox Institute but it has balanced on translation.

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/0899576516

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users