#1 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

Can someone explain simply, how to define judging and humility according to our orthodox faith?

How does someone not judge in the world we live in also, how can we have humility in todays world?

This is so difficult, especially with what we see these days eg news, people  etc  What if someone is doing the wrong thing?

I read about a monastic monk who went to paradise because he didn't judge and forgave everyone, even though he didn't keep the fast, etc.

I am currently reading St Paisios, Passions and Virtues its a great book.

Thank you

Edited by Angie, 21 September 2016 - 07:28 AM.

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:07 AM

'Every time you think to criticize or judge someone, look inside yourself, and in some form or other, you will see the same fault in yourself.

‘Know thyself’ the ancient Greeks said. To know yourself is to see your weaknesses, faults and sins. Then you can judge yourself for, as Apostle Paul says, if we judge ourselves, we shall not be judged.

You may think that you are not so bad: you may think, ‘how can I think that I am the worst of sinners? All right, there’s a lot in my past I’m not proud of, but how can I be worse than say a murderer?’ We do not compare ourselves with others. We compare ourselves only with God, with Christ. Do not look at yourself through the negative commandments – do not kill and so on - but through the positive commandments to love God and your neighbour. Consider how far you fall short of these and how far you are from being Christ-like and perfect.

Read the Parable of the Publican and the Pharisee. The Pharisee was a good citizen. He did all that was required. And he had come to pray and give thanks to God for what he had. But his fault was his lack of humility; he compared himself with the publican whereas he should have compared himself with God. If we have no humility, all is in vain.

Self-accusation leads to contrition – that leads to repentance – that leads to humility.

Judge no one: there is only one Judge. Christ first came in humility but will come again in glory as Judge.'

From the sayings of Bishop Irenaeos.

#3 Angie

Angie

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:33 AM

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users