Someone told me that leaving kolyva from memorial services too long are toxic?
Has anyone heard of this?
Jump to content
Posted 12 December 2016 - 11:06 AM
Like with many other kinds of fresh food, there is a risk that kollyva will go off if it is allowed to stand at room temperature for more than a day or so, especially in warmer weather and/or high humidity. The sugar can react with the starch and start to ferment, or mould might start to grow. If it has begun to spoil, it will smell and taste unpleasant.
There is no problem with kollyva being at room temperature for a few hours, such as what happens at memorial services or funerals. But it's best that what is taken home to be consumed later is put in the fridge.
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users