#1 Algernon

Algernon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • Orthodox Christian Member

Posted 17 January 2017 - 01:22 PM

Can someone please point me toward an explanation of the differences between begottenness (i.e. of the Son) and procession (i.e. of the Spirit)?

Thanks,

A

#2 Rdr Andreas

Rdr Andreas

Very Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 02:29 PM

The best we have, I think, is this http://www.intratext...NG0824/_P12.HTM

#3 Father David Moser

Father David Moser

• Moderators
  • 3,581 posts
  • Verified Cleric

Posted 17 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

Metropolitan Hilarion (Alfeyev) deals with this question quite well in his series "Orthodox Christianity" (A three volume set)  In  Vol 1, he approaches it in an historical context and in Vol 2 he deals with it in a dogmatic context.

Fr David Moser

#4 Algernon

Algernon

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:20 PM

Thank you both.

#5 Lakis Papas

Lakis Papas

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 06:34 PM

There many pages written over the centuries by saints and theologians over this issue. 

But both  begottenness and procession do not correspond directly on the reality of God and holy Trinity as these words present a human analogy to God. We use two distinct words because we want to make clear that the relation with the Father is different for the Son in comparison to the Spirit's relation to the Father. 

Because the physical cause of both Son and Spirit is the Father (only the Father is without physical cause) and this physical causality is making the difference between the person of Trinity, we use different words for each person but the words by themselves mainly indicate the distinction of each Person.

If we understand that the language here is used not to describe two realities (it does so in a very poor way) but to make clear that we can not use a single word for these two realities (we are somehow forced to use two words by necessity ), then we understand almost all that can be understood for this issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users